Shooting at Seattle Pacific University, Suspect in Custody

Illustration for article titled Shooting at Seattle Pacific University, Suspect in Custody

A suspect is in custody following a shooting today at Seattle Pacific University. Multiple people were shot, including two who police say have life-threatening injuries.


There are reports the gunman was also injured. According to KOMO, the shooting occurred just after 3 p.m. near the intersection of 3rd Ave. West and West Nickerson Street. A message on the school's website states the campus is still in lockdown. There were reports there was a second gunman, but police now say they have stopped looking for a second suspect, according to KOMO. The Seattle Times has accounts from multiple witnesses who were on the scene.

According to the Associated Press, one man has died from his injuries:

A Seattle hospital spokeswoman says one man in his 20s has died and a woman is critically injured after a shooting Thursday afternoon on the campus of Seattle Pacific University.

Two other people are less seriously hurt. Police say a suspect is in custody.

Harborview Medical Center spokeswoman Susan Gregg had no additional information on the young man who died. She says a 20-year-old woman is in surgery with critical injuries while a 24-year-old man and a 22-year-old man are in satisfactory condition.


Police warn there are conflicting reports about victims, and said via Twitter they are still searching the campus:


Via the Associated Press:

About 4,270 students attend the private Christian university, located in a residential neighborhood about 10 minutes from downtown Seattle.


Here is the latest update from Seattle police:

One person was killed and three others injured Thursday afternoon after a lone gunman opened fire with a shotgun at Seattle Pacific University. Police have one suspect in custody, an adult male who was subuded after being pepper-sprayed by a student security guard. No one else is being sought in connection with the shooting.

All of the victims were taken to Harborview Medical Center. One 20-year-old male victim died at the hospital. Another male victim was reported in stable condition. In addition, one woman had life threatening injuries and another woman was reported in stable condition. More information will be provided as it becomes available.


This post will be updated as further information becomes available.



I'm an Australian and I would really love for an American to explain to me, from an internal perspective why tighter gun control laws haven't been instigated after countless school and community shootings. It really baffles me. In Australia (in recent times anyhow) we've had one really major mass shooting, The Port Arthur shooting in Tasmania. Following that event all states and territories banned and heavily restricted the legal ownership and use of self-loading rifles, self-loading and pump-action shotguns, and heavily tightened controls on their legal use. Since those restrictions were put in place, there hasn't been a mass shooting since. It seems blatantly obvious to me, but I'm an outside observer. So if someone could explain why the American government hasn't put these measures in place already that would be great. I know it's not as obvious or easy as i'm making it out to be haha but you get the point, I just want some insider opinions.