In honor of July 15, known extremely occasionally as the “Day Without Sports” (because no professional sports air on television), NYC-based PR firm MSL Group circulated a list on behalf of Netflix of streamable rom coms and sports movies that both men and women will enjoy. Thank you, Netflix, now go shove your dick in a blender.
“Men be warned,” reads a press release forwarded to Jezebel by a tipster that was circulated on Monday afternoon, “girlfriends and wives around the U.S. are going to take ‘no sports on TV’ as an invitation to gain some serious TV power—whether by recommending a favorite rom-com or multiple episodes from a favorite drama series. And, women be empowered! Sports will not be there to save him this time.”
Take a moment for some rage-LOL. The release’s writing is clunky and terrible and assumes we all live in a snow globe from the ‘50s. Even worse, however, are the suggestions of movies for the men to watch, with helpful advice on how to get your brain-dead doll of a partner to recognize good art. Here are a few of them:
- “Silver Linings Playbook” – Satisfy her need for romance, and you’ll get the added opportunity to view Jennifer Lawrence the entire time.
- “Peaky Blinders” – By calling out all of the good looking guys, you might be able to convince her to watch this Netflix original that’s packed with crime and action...
- “Rudy” – Get her to realize that everyone loves a good underdog story so you can watch some football...
- “Rocky” – Use words like “uplifting” and “heartfelt” to convince her this is the movie for you guys to watch
Here’s the email in full:
Happy Monday! Netflix wanted to share a couple fun lists, in anticipation of July 15th: That one day a year that sports enthusiasts fear most…The Day Without Sports. On this day, fans will see no professional sports on television as a part of the MLB All-Star break. Men be warned: girlfriends and wives around the U.S. are going to take “no sports on TV” as an invitation to gain some serious TV power – whether by recommending a favorite rom-com or multiple episodes from a favorite drama series. And, women be empowered! Sports will not be there to save him this time.
For the men, Netflix has put together a list of content that will help you and your girlfriend compromise on your entertainment:
· Silver Linings Playbook – Satisfy her need for romance, and you’ll get the added opportunity to view Jennifer Lawrence the entire time.
· Peaky Blinders – By calling out all of the good looking guys, you might be able to convince her to watch this Netflix original that’s packed with crime and action.
· Scandal – Multiple episodes and scenes with the beautiful Kerry Washington. Enough said.
· Rudy – Get her to realize that everyone loves a good underdog story so you can watch some football.
· Friday Night Lights – Another great way to get some football in while providing the drama she loves.
· One Tree Hill – If you’re more of a basketball fan, this one’s for you, as it’s packed with drama both on and off the court. Plus, Sophia Bush.
· Rocky – Use words like “uplifting” and “heartfelt” to convince her this is the movie for you guys to watch
Also, just as an FYI - there’s more than 50 of ESPN’s 30 for 30 titles on Netflix if you plan to just stream on your phone or laptop while she takes over the living room.
For the women, this is your day, ladies. Get him hooked on some of your favorite TV shows or get him to finally watch that romantic comedy you’ve been dying to share with him. Netflix has put together a list of some of the best content to share with your guy on the one day a year the TV is yours, no excuses.
· One Tree Hill
· Grey’s Anatomy
· Gilmore Girls
· Friday Night Lights
· Pretty Little Liars
· High Fidelity
· Silver Linings Playbook
· Employee of the Month
· 50 First Dates
· The Switch
· 13 Going on 30
· Jerry McGuire
· Annie Hall
· Don Jon
· Good Luck Chuck
· The Best of Me
· Labor Day
· Thanks for Sharing
· Maid in Manhattan
· Legally Blonde I & II
Just a few fun ideas from Netflix!
Actually, I’ve changed my mind. Thank you, Netflix. My head is literally full of period blood and tissues that I’ve cried into and I wouldn’t know how to consume culture if not for you. God bless.
Apple MacBook Air Laptop
The M1 chip delivers 3.5x faster performance than the previous generation all while using way less power. Get up to 18 hours of battery life.
Contact the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Image via The Weinstein Company