Benedict Cumberbatch has apologized for using the term "colored" in a conversation about race, saying that he is "devastated to have caused offense by using this outmoded terminology" and is sorry for "being an idiot."
Talking about diversity in Hollywood on PBS' Tavis Smiley last week, Cumberbatch remarked:
"I think as far as colored actors go, it gets really difficult in the U.K., and a lot of my friends have had more opportunities (in the U.S.) than in the U.K. and that's something that needs to change."
Since the airing, Show Racism the Red Card, a U.K. organization, has called out Cumberbatch for using such an "outdated" and politically incorrect term and t he actor quickly issued the following apology:
"I'm devastated to have caused offense by using this outmoded terminology. I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done.
I can only hope this incident will highlight the need for correct usage of terminology that is accurate and inoffensive.The most shaming aspect of this for me is that I was talking about racial inequality in the performing arts in the U.K. and the need for rapid improvements in our industry when I used the term. I feel the complete fool I am and while I am sorry to have offended people and to learn from my mistakes in such a public manner please be assured I have. I apologize again to anyone who I offended for this thoughtless use of inappropriate language about an issue which affects friends of mine and which I care about deeply."
An apology wherein someone accepts blame, learns from their mistakes and helps inform others? Well, I never.
Weep not for Emma Stone and her tragic public life. Talking to Maria Menounos about her recent viral photobomb of a fan, Stone said, "I've done a few different things in situations like that, so it's not always that way, but it just felt like she was taking a photo so I thought why not do something silly." Asked whether or not it's hard to have people taking your picture all the time, she responded sarcastically, "You know, life is so hard. I would so much rather be doing anything else." [ONTD]
Police were called to Tao nightclub in Park City Utah after a female film executive claimed that she was assaulted by Into the Wild's Emile Hirsch at a Sundance party. According to a Page Six source, "Something happened between the movie exec and Emile, and she said she had been assaulted and asked security to call the police. Emile didn't leave the scene, and calmly waited for the police to arrive, and spoke with them until around 5 a.m., after which he went home with his friends. No arrests were made."
- Lil Wayne is leaving Cash Money and trying to take Drake and Nicki Minaj with him. [TMZ]
- Speaking of, Lena Dunham got Lil Wayne and Lil Jon confused, despite having worked with Lil Jon before. [Bossip]
- Jennifer Lawrence, Harry Styles and Adele reportedly entertained themselves by pelting the pleb patrons of a restaurant with olives. Charming... [THG]
- We're still speculating over whether or not Lupita Nyong'o and Jared Leto are a thing. [Page Six]
- Mandy Moore continues to exist, have friends following her split from husband Ryan Adams. [E! Online]
- Love's not entirely dead: Swizz Beats threw Alicia Keys a House Party-themed birthday party with Kid 'N Play in attendance. [Billboard]
- Here's an interview with Aisling Franciosi, who plays the much maligned Katie on The Fall, about her character and what it was like to get, um, rough with Jamie Dornan before it was cool. [Cosmopolitan]
- Bruce Jenner is on "a journey," according to Kim Kardashian. [TMZ]
- According to a gossip source that seems to know absolutely nothing about the two people they're writing about, Rihanna is dating Leonardo DiCaprio because he's a stable dude who's ready to settle down and have kids. Seems in character for both of them. [ONTD]
- Nick Jonas has joined the cast of Ryan Murphy's Scream Queens. [Inside TV]
- Following her hospital release, Lindsay Lohan is hard at work
getting those community service hourspartying in Paris.
Photos via Getty, Instagram.