Bryan Singer, the director of the X Men franchise, has been accused of drugging, raping and using his power to exploit a teenager, in a federal lawsuit filed in Hawaii.
According to the lawsuit, the plaintiff — a former child model and aspiring actor named Michael Egan — was forcibly sodomized by Singer when he was 17 in the late 1990s, among other accusations:
Defendant, BRYAN JAY SINGER, manipulated his power, wealth, and position in the entertainment industry to sexually abuse and exploit the underage Plaintiff through the use of drugs, alcohol, threats, and inducements which resulted in Plaintiff suffering catastrophic psychological and emotional injuries. Defendant Singer did so as part of a group of adult males similarly positioned in the entertainment industry that maintained and exploited boys in a sordid sex ring. A Hollywood mogul must not use his position to sexually exploit underage actors.
The suit claims that Egan was lured into a sex ring at the M & C Estate in Encino through a combination of a combination of promises to help advance his career and threats made to himself and his family; it also alleges that Marc Collins-Rector — the former Digital Entertainment Network chairman who was recently charged with transporting five minors across state lines for sex — initiated the sexual abuse and arranged for Singer to assault Egan as well. Collins-Rector is also accused of raping Egan at gunpoint, and Singer is accused of drugging him.
Singer's attorney said in a statement that "The claims made against Bryan Singer are completely without merit" and that they were filed "in an attempt to get publicity at the time when Bryan' s new movie (X-Men: Days of Future Past) is about to open in a few weeks."
This isn't the first lawsuit filed against singer: in 1997, a 14-year-old extra from his film Apt Pupil accused Singer of forcing him and two other boys to strip naked for a shower scene; allegations were made that the boys were filmed for sexual gratification. The civil case was later dismissed due to insufficient evidence.
Egan's attorney, Jeff Herman, says that he plans to file more lawsuits against the other men who were involved in these alleged parties. "Hollywood has a problem with the sexual exploitation of children," Herman said. "This is the first of many cases I will be filing to give these victims a voice and to expose the issue." [The Wrap]
In yet more absolutely horrifying news, Columbus Short (who plays Harrison in Scandal) allegedly attacked his wife Tuere Short at their Los Angeles home. According to Tuere, he threatened to kill her and then commit suicide:
Tuere Short claims Columbus then ran to the kitchen for a knife, pinned her to the couch and began choking her. She says he then demanded they play a game he called "Truth or Truth." He allegedly said if she lied he would stab her in the leg.
She says he then started naming men he believed she was having affairs with. She denied them all but he allegedly then put the knife to her throat and threatened murder/suicide. As she tried escaping she says he slashed her tire.
She has obtained a restraining order and filed for divorce on Tuesday. So, so horrible. [TMZ]
On an infinitely lighter note: Gwyneth Paltrow allowed her children to eat hot dogs covered in Fritos for Moses' 8th birthday. If eating canned cheese is worse than smoking crack, this is like the equivalent of freebasing sewage. Idk, GOOP. [ONTD]
And Seb Bishop, the CEO of GOOP corp., has quit in protest. (JK, it's because the company is moving from London to LA.) [Page Six]
- Lindsay, the dramatic docu-series that is mostly about Lindsay Lohan dodging Oprah's calls while her assistant puts her possessions into various suitcases repeatedly (I've only seen 2 episodes but this diagnosis seems right) did not get renewed. Shocking, I know. [Dlisted]
- Here's a really compelling longform piece on Jenny McCarthy's engagement ring. [E!]
- Kris Jenner was hospitalized for "precautionary reasons." [E!]
- Justin Bieber is eliminating the bad influences from his life, probably starting with the demon that's settled in his heart. [E!]
- Demi Lovato lovingly shut down someone on Twitter who caled her a "fatty." [ONTD]
- Will Arnett has filed for divorce from Amy Poehler 18 months after the couple announced their separation. [HuffPo]
- Some thirsty parents are already trying to get their babies engaged to the Royal Baby. JUST LET HIM WRIGGLE IMPERIOUSLY IN PEACE. [Hello]
- In other Royal News, Pippa is probably going to get engaged soon. [Just Jared]
- BREAKING: Miranda Kerr is going to cut her hair short one day. Praise the goddess we have this advance warning. [Just Jared]
- It turns out Miley Cyrus is in the hospital because of a bad reaction to sinus infection medication, prompting this fuckin' TMZ headline: "MILEY CYRUS EMERGENCY — More Like... MILEY SINUS EMERGENCY." [TMZ]
- Elsewhere in brilliant TMZ headlines: "Kate Upton — Of Course I Love My Body... I'M HOT, YOU IDIOTS." [TMZ]