I don't watch Big Brother, mostly because I have more interesting things to do on Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights like picking at patches of dead skin and googling images of dogs wearing sunglasses, but my mom likes to watch and will give me the occasional unsolicited update. Anyway, I'd like to dedicate this post to my mother because she's going to take this news particularly hard — Mom, I'm sorry, but the cast of Big Brother 15 is terribly racist, horribly misogynistic and grossly homophobic.
Don't blame my mom. It's not like she or any other Big Brother viewer would know that seeing as CBS regularly edits out the more offensive conversations of the houseguests because, according to executive producer Allison Grodner, they "really don’t want to put hateful things out there.”
Unfortunately, that means CBS is editing out an awful lot because, as the Big Brother live feed reveals, this season's houseguests are spewing hateful and bigoted thoughts ad nauseum. Just over the weekend, cameras caught cast members repeatedly mocking an Asian contestant's eye shape and telling her to "serve us some fucking rice," calling a gay contestant a fag both behind his back and to his face, referring to women as "cunts" and making fun of a black contestant's dark complexion, hair and dialect.
Let's get specific:
- Contestant GinaMarie referred to welfare as "nigger insurance" and said that fellow contestant Candice, a Black woman, was showing her "blackness" now that she wasn't on the block.
- Cast members Jeremy and Katilin are hooking up. Romantic, right? It's actually so romantic that Jeremy, who generally refers to women as "bitches," called Katilin's vagina a "meat wallet." Awww.
- Both houseguests Spencer and Amanda have come up with affectionate nicknames for their gay housemate Andy: "Kermit the Fag" and "Faggoty Ann." It was also predicted by houseguest Aaryn that Andy will win MVP because "people love the queers.”
- Spencer said Hitler was a great public speaker and and claimed that the medical experiments performed on Jewish people by the Nazis during WWII were beneficial.
- Spencer also loves to call women cunts.
Unfortunately, the examples go on and on.
(For video and time stamps, check out the extensive lists they've compiled at Reality Blurred and the Big Brother discussion board of Jokers Updates.)
The question to me isn't so much why these awful people are on television. It's why CBS is insisting on protecting them by leaving these comments out of the broadcast. While, yes, airing the houseguests' bigoted remarks would be "putting hateful things out there," these are things that cast members are willingly saying with cameras around (I shudder to think what they say in private) and the viewers ought to know who they are (at best) watching and (at worst) rooting for to win.
Be brave, CBS, and broadcast these idiots saying all of the racist, classist, sexist and homophobic things that they want. Then be even braver and make them deal with the conversation and consequences that follow their actions.
Big Brother already a cesspool of racist, homophobic, and misogynistic comments [Reality Blurred]