In her new Elle cover story, Katy Perry discussed her diminished expectations of being a pop star and the way the media molds celebrities to fit into very specific and easily identifiable archetypes. Such a classic "sage" thing to say.
On the pop-star phenomenon:
"It is a hundred times harder a dream than the dream that I dreamt when I was nine...You think you signed up for one thing, but you automatically sign up for a hundred others. And that is why you see people shaving their fucking heads."
And if all the pop stars were characters in a soap opera?
"You've got to name someone the villain, someone the princess, someone the mom-, the dad-type—you know there always have to be characters. As pop figures, we're all characters. And the media uses that. Who is the sweetheart, who is the villain? You know. Taylor's the sweetheart. Kanye's the villain. That's the narrative."
1.) While being famous can absolutely drive a person bonkers, I would say it's a hundred times harder for every adult person—not just pop stars—to dream the dreams they dreamt when they were nine because the reality of adulthood is much different than the expectations of adulthood.
2.) Seems strange to bemoan the trappings of fame while subtly dragging out your highly publicized feud with Taylor Swift, but hey, Katy, you do you (in all your multitudes).
During Monday's Academy Awards Luncheon, Neil Patrick Harris—this year's Oscars host—posted a photo to Twitter making fun of the exceeding whiteness of this year's nominees and the Academy. "They all look so white! #toosoon," he tweeted. Wealthy white man makes unchallenging joke about the predominantly wealthy, white organization that he's a part of. Moving on. [THR]
Jeremy Renner's divorce proceedings just got messier. Sonni Pacheco, his estranged wife, is seeking primary custody of the couple's daughter and claiming that Renner's home is unsafe for the toddler.
According to Pacheco, Renner keeps several weapons around the house, including at least one gun that he does not keep locked up. [ Gossip Cop]
- Beyoncé and Jay Z argued at an L.A. restaurant. I hate it when mom and dad fight. [Bossip]
- Here's Jamie Dornan doing a full-body lift because why not. [E! Online]
- Lance Armstrong got his girlfriend to take the blame for a hit-and-run that he committed and was caught. #livestrong [US Weekly]
- "U up," Jennifer Lawrence texts ex boyfriend Nicholas Hoult in the middle of the night. [OK!]
- Marisa Tomei's parents are suing Sean Lennon over a tree. [NYDN]
- "We're very normal," says Mila Kunis about herself and Ashton Kutcher, a couple who met as teenagers on a very popular tv show. [E! Online]
- E.L. James and Fifty Shades director Sam Taylor-Johnson really disliked each other. [Gossip Cop]
- Congrats to
Jason StreetScott Porter and his wife Kelsey Mayfield on the birth of their baby! [ONTD]
- The ever-stable Columbus Short allegedly threatened Jamie Foxx. [THG]
- DJ Walter White, Jr. could be coming to a club near you. [ONTD]
- Jennifer Hudson and Rita Ora will both appear on Empire. [E! Online]