These are words Donald Trump just said about Puerto Rico: “The loss of life, it’s always tragic. But it’s been incredible. The results that we’ve had with respect to loss of life. People can’t believe how successful that has been, relatively speaking.” What the fuck does that mean?
- Another day, another Trump administration official sees himself out the door. While the rest of America is upset that Department of Health and Human Services head Tom Price has racking up exorbitant taxpayer-funded bills to take private jets across the world, Donald Trump has been more displeased by the “optics” of the situation. After rumors of Price’s imminent firing, on Friday Price resigned. “Secretary of Health and Human Services Thomas Price offered his resignation earlier today and the President accepted,” read a statement from White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. “The President intends to designate Don J. Wright of Virginia to serve as Acting Secretary, effective at 11:59 p.m. on September 29, 2017. Mr. Wright currently serves as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health and Director of the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.”[The Daily Beast]
- The Tax Policy Center has released its analysis of Donald Trump’s “revolutionary” tax reform plan and guess what? It found that 80 percent of the benefits would go to the top 1 percent. And, on average, the top 1 percent would reap $207,000 in tax cuts. Contrast that with middle-income earners saving $420 on average in tax cuts. “His proposal would cut taxes at all income levels, although the largest benefits, in dollar and percentage terms, would go to the highest-income households,” the summary reads. “Federal revenues would fall by $6.2 trillion over the first decade before accounting for added interest costs. Including interest costs, the federal debt would rise by $7.2 trillion over the first decade and by $20.9 trillion by 2036.”[Tax Policy Center]
- On that note, Interior Minister Ryan Zinke cost taxpayers $12,000 on a private chartered flight after an event with a pro hockey team. [ABC News]
- Ryan Zinke is also an asshole. [Sunrise Movement DC]
- Democrats, rather than enjoying watching Republicans crash and burn their dangerous healthcare repeal bills, are apparently validating whiny Republicans by drafting a compromise bill behind-the-scenes. Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension Committee Chairman Lamar Alexander and ranking Democrat Patty Murray are working on “a bipartisan healthcare agreement to stabilize markets and lower premiums,” according to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. [Reuters]
This has been Barf Bag.