- Sadness: Slumdog Millionaire actress Rubina Ali has allegedly been placed up for
adoptionsale by her father, who offered the girl to an undercover reporter posing as a sheik for roughly 270,000 pounds. [DailyMail]
- Ali's father, Rafiq Qureshi, blames the Slumdog Millionaire producers for forcing him to go to such extreme measures, as the family was never properly compensated for Ali's role in the film: "They haven't looked after us. They gave some money at the start but they gave us nothing afterwards. They gave us around 150,000 rupees (£2,040). They've been talking about giving us a house, but all they do is talk," he says, "What they showed in the film is exactly how life is here. The government doesn't help us. We get nothing. We live in one room, seven of us sleep on the floor. I earn £2 to £3 a day. I have to consider what's best for me, my family and Rubina's future." [NewsoftheWorld]
- According to News of the World, however: "In fact Danny Boyle and producer Christian Colson have set up a trust to ensure Rubina gets a proper education, is well housed and receives support dealing with media attention." [Newsofthe World]
- Save the Children has already condemned the father's actions and "urged the Indian government to sign up to the International Labour Organisation's convention to help abolish child labour and trafficking." [DailyMail]
- Madonna has already been released from the hospital after being hospitalized last night for the "minor injuries and bruises" she received after falling while horseback riding. [People]
- Madonna's spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, says the paparazzi is to blame for the accident: "The accident occurred when the horse Madonna was riding was startled by paparazzi who jumped out of the bushes to photograph the singer." [E!]
- Keira Knightley says it's tough to balance a relationship and a movie career: "I think you've got to strive for balance. It's the striving that counts. If you're someone like me, who has always been very driven, to suddenly step back and decide, 'Well, love is the only thing', then you need to build up your relationships." [DailyExpress]
- Blind Item: "Which actor needs to give his nose a break? His coke-heavy ‘model parties' have already sent him to the hospital once recently, but he can't stop being host to starlets." [BlindGossip]
- Matthew McConaughey won't be getting married anytime soon: "It's not an institution I'm against at all," he says "I'm actually for it, believe in it and have seen it actually be very, very healthy for many relationships. Some people go through it some great ways. I don't have any plans for it." [People]
- Kelly Osbourne, on the other hand, does want to get married, just not in Las Vegas: ""Vegas is way too tacky," she says, "I'd prefer to get married in London, as I have family and friends here." [ShowbizSpy]
- Beyonce will be doing a guest spot on the children's television show Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! [DailyExpress]
- "As long as I can remember, when I was a little kid I have always been conscious that we are here for a limited period. Not really fearing death at all, but as a little boy I did resent it. I thought it was unfair because there are so many things to do and adventures to have. And as an adult you realise you can never read all the good books. You can't even see all the good plays or movies or travel to all the places you want to see. It's impossible. I don't resent my mortality any more."-Viggo Mortensen[Guardian]
- "Everyone thinks I'm nuts because I speak the truth and I'm very outspoken," said Paul McCartney's ex-wife Heather Mills during a speech to vegetarians Saturday."The meat industry hate me, the dairy industry hate me, the Beatle industry, the landmine industry. So I have a lot of enemies out there. But I also have a huge amount of support."- Heather Mills [ShowbizSpy]
- Amy Winehouse is back in the Caribbean and reportedly dating a waiter named Junior: "Amy has been letting her hair down on the island and is enjoying being single. She instantly clicked with Junior and is just having a bit of fun," says a source, "It's very early days but she loves spending time with him." [DailyExpress]
- Mario Lopez is planning on writing a children's book. What do you think the title will be? [Publishers Weekly]
- A producer originally dismissed Drew Barrymore as a contender for the role of Little Edie Beale in Grey Gardens, but Drew's agents insisted she be given a shot, and, of course, she won the part. [NYPost]
- Is Jennifer Aniston dating Gerard Butler? "They had a fling at the Toronto Film Festival last year but it was all kept very quiet," says a source, "Now Jennifer's single again, she's no longer keeping her admiration for him secret." [DailyMail]
- Marcia Brady's nose was broken earlier this morning by her dumb brothers Greg and Peter, who were playing football and accidentally sent a pass into her face. Now she'll never be a teen model!
More from Jezebel
Zombie Ms. Skittles
That's it, I'm adopting ALL my children from India.
Also, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to make myself watch Slumdog Millionaire.