Selena Gomez hasn’t been shy about flaunting the fact that she’s just not that into being cultural humility (remember the bindi incident and “sari not sari?”) but this week she’s made mosque-goers very angry after exposing way too much skin at the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi.
Gomez, who was at the mosque with 12-700 of her closest friends posed for two pictures that have caused the mosque to be flooded with complaints, according to TMZ. One, she took a photo of herself intentionally lifting up her abaya to show off a lot of ankle (TMZ refers to this as stripping) and two, she took photos of herself “laughing and smiling” which is prohibited.
I get what Gomez is doing, but as TMZ points out, it’s about respect. Going to a place of religious worship while a tourist and performing acts that are prohibited isn’t “rebellion” (she’s no Pussy Riot), it’s just insensitive. A place of worship, no matter how famous, isn’t just a tourist location, it’s still a place of worship. Maybe more Justin Bieber rubbed off on her than previously thought. (Oh my god, that just reminded me that I haven’t listened to “The Heart Wants What It Wants” since Christmas, so I am putting that on now.”) [TMZ]
Scott Disick (second only to Khloe on the Kardashian Watchability Index) is allegedly getting a job flipping houses. That’s great and all and I’m going to let him finish, but the only house flipping show that should exist is Property Brothers because those dudes are hot and I will DVR the show and make grunting noises while watching it forever. And no, I haven’t learned how to do anything useful from that show, OK? The only thing I’ve learned is that my partner can only take so many “laying pipe” jokes before he’s all “well, all right, I’m going into the other room to let you watch this in peace and think about what the people on that site you write for would say about this.” [TMZ]
Speaking of Kardashians, Kim wants everyone to know that the rumors online about her (specify, plz) are not true. In fact, she doesn’t even care or anything, but you know, she was bored and just Googled herself and it’s, like, not something she does every day, you know? When your eyes stop rolling so hard you sprain an eye muscle, you’ll be pleased to know that Kim is not pregnant and still very much in love with Kanye. Great! Glad to have cleared that up! Bring on 2015! (Still love her.) [People]
- Brody Jenner will be spinning records at the AVNs Porn Oscars), so it looks like everyone’s getting a job! Lorde has also been invited, but has yet to respond. [TMZ]
- Why does Sam Smith always look so melancholy? It’s hard to believe that he’s having a “a blast on New Year’s Eve” when he looks like an even more constipated Josh Hutcherson in the photos. [Just Jared]
- “Soccer Stars Alex Morgan and Servando Carrasco Wed” is a headline I just read and thought you might like to know about. [People]
- Gwyneth Paltrow says she’s a “self-made woman” in a new interview. Yes, she knows she had privilege and money and a good education when she was growing up, but she got to where she is on her own. With no help. Whatsoever. And she knows Cee Lo. [Celebitchy]
- If you didn’t already know, Michelle Duggar (who is very much against gay people just, you know, existing out in the world and shit) has a lesbian sister. I bet they’re close. [Towleroad]
- Emily Blunt’s scarf is what Tim Gunn would refer to as “a lot of look.” [Popaholic]
- Aside from our complete inability to freestyle, Iggy Azalea and I have something else in common now! We both have TMJ and we’ve both vowed to take better care of ourselves in 2015! And we’re both the realest, also. [Just Jared]
- Celebrity guinea pigs Buddy and Andy shared a hot gay kiss at midnight without being posed or bribed with vegetables or anything. Are they an item? [That’s What She Said]
- Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Martin had dinner last night. We’re told not to get our balls in an uproar over it by a commenter on Just Jared. [Just Jared]
- Miley Cyrus has a pizza outfit now. MTV refers to this as “breaking news” and I’d mock them for it except that I have also referred to something trivial Miley did as “breaking” and “impossible to believe” before. [MTV]
- Ethan Hawke feels sorry for Jennifer Lawrence — NOT BECAUSE SHE HAD DINNER WITH CHRIS MARTIN, THOUGH! [Celebitchy]
- Everyone is in Cabo right now. Not us, though! We’re here having a gay old time on Ye Olde Jezebelle. [Lainey Gossip]
Happy New Year! Please enjoy my favorite weird Russian music video.
Lede image via Instagram