Last week it was reported that director and convicted child rapist Roman Polanski was booted from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, a decision that reportedly “blindsided” him, and not because he couldn’t believe it had finally happened.
Then, on Tuesday, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Polanski’s attorney Harland Braun sent a letter to Academy president John Bailey, threatening legal action over the director’s expulsion.
The letter, obtained by THR, reads in part:
“I am writing this letter to you to avoid unnecessary litigation. Mr. Polanski has a right to go to court and require your organization to follow its own procedures, as well as California law. The only proper solution would be for your organization to rescind its illegal expulsion of Mr. Polanski and follow its own Standards of Conduct by giving Mr. Polanski reasonable notice of the charges against him and a fair hearing to present his position with respect to any proposed expulsion. We are not here contesting the merits of the expulsion decision, but rather your organization’s blatant disregard of its own Standards of Conduct in, as well as its violations of the standards required by California Corporations Code.”
Academy insiders tell THR that Braun has no case, pointing to another provision that states, “Any member of the Academy may be suspended or expelled for cause by the Board of Governors. Expulsion or suspension as herein provided for shall require the affirmative vote of not less than two-thirds of all the Governors.”
Dance Moms star Abby Lee Miller, 51, is reportedly undergoing chemotherapy as a treatment for lymphoma. A source told People on Tuesday, “She’s been going through chemotherapy treatments for her lymphoma. She’s already gone through six or seven treatment and has a bunch more to go. The doctors are confident they caught it in time. It’s an awful situation and she’s really focused on getting healthy right now.”
Miller was preliminarily diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in April, a day after she underwent emergency surgery for what was believed at the time to be a spinal infection.
- At the Met Gala Grimes wore Elon Musk on her arm, a Tesla choker around her neck. Suffice to say it’s a nightmare from which I cannot awake. [Page Six]
- Jane Fonda revealed that, at the age of 80, she is no longer dating men. [Page Six]
- The Rock charges an exorbitant social media fee. [Vulture]
- Alec Baldwin is taking this moment to wax poetic on what a great AG Eric Schneiderman was—fuck that. [NYDN]
- A judge approved the sale of the Weinstein Co. to Texas-based private equity fund Lantern Capital. [Variety]
- Jersey Shore update: “Ronnie’s been doing better. He’s been going to the gym, working on himself.” Okay! [People]