All of this shit is bad, but none of it is surprising.
- As threatened, President Trump declared a national emergency to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The news was delivered in a characteristically unhinged press conference. This is all for show, and at least some the Democrats seem to know this—Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Julian Castro said Friday morning they would introduce a bill to block the president’s national emergency declaration. [New York Times, Twitter, NBC News, Bloomberg]
- The U.S State Department says don’t go to Haiti, where President Jovenel Moise refuses to step down despite a week of anti-corruption protests, which have left at least seven people dead. [NPR]
- Trump may have some competition for the Republican presidential nomination in 2020... which, uh, sure? [Washington Post]
- Tax refunds are down about 8 percent from last year. [Politico]
- Students in the United Kingdom went on strike Friday in the hope their government will do something about climate change, as young people are the ones who will have to deal with it. [The Guardian]
- Robert Mueller interviewed Sarah Huckabee Sanders. [CNN]
- The Supreme Court will weigh in on whether the 2020 census can ask about citizenship. [Politico]
- I wish everyone would stop talking about this person. [Politico]
The president did very few tweets today, which... I don’t know, I’m not gonna think about it!
This has been Barf Bag.