During a recent press conference for Avengers: Age of Ultron, Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner, like two giddy pickup artists on Tinder, referred to their fellow female Avenger as a “whore” and a “slut” for rejecting their characters’ romantic advances. The pair has since apologized.
During the initial interview conducted by Digital Spy, Renner and Evans were asked about Black Widow (played by Scarlett Johansson) spurning the love of Hawkeye and Captain America for a different Avenger. “She’s a slut,” Renner joked. “I was going to say something along that line,” Evans responded. “...a complete whore.”
After a quick backlash, Evans released the following statement:
“Yesterday we were asked about the rumors that Black Widow wanted to be in a relationship with both Hawkeye and Captain America. We answered in a juvenile and offensive way that rightfully angered some fans. I regret it and sincerely apologize.”
Renner told Entertainment Weekly that “it was not meant to be serious in any way. Just poking fun during an exhausting and tedious press tour.”
Also out promoting Avengers, Cobie Smulders sat down with Women’s Health and spoke about being diagnosed with ovarian cancer at the age of 25.
“I had tumors on both ovaries, and the cancer had spread into my lymph nodes and surrounding tissues,” she told the magazine. “...I don’t think I’ll ever feel like I’m cancer-free. Now that I’m five years out, I’m trying to think of it as a positive thing and what can I learn from it. And if I can create more awareness, I’ll do it.” [US Weekly]
Blue Ivy Carter helped inspire her grandmother Tina Knowles to marry Richard Lawson. “[In September] we went on a boat with Beyoncé and Jay Z for her birthday, and when we came out one night dressed to go to dinner, Blue said, ‘Oh, ya’ll look beautiful. When are y’all getting married?,’” Mama Tina told People. “Richard said, ‘Oh, Blue, soon. Do you approve?’ And she said yes,” the newlywed adds. “That’s the first time we talked seriously about getting married.”
Blue Ivy, Tiny Millionaire Matchmaker. [People]
- Miley Cyrus is keeping herself busy in the studio following her breakup from Patrick Schwarzenegger. [Just Jared]
- It might have been Big Sean’s “billion dollar pussy” lyric that got him dumped by Ariana Grande. (But that album came out in February?) [TMZ]
- Brody Jenner thinks Kim Kardashian is “nothing but evil.” [Radar]
- Is Ciara dating Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson? [OK!]
- Maybe, but he’s definitely not taking her to the White House Correspondents Dinner. [Page Six]
- Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie are about to battle it out for custody of their son. [Page Six]
- Tom Hardy says he couldn’t actually kill someone so that’s...good... [Page Six]
- Wait, can we keep talking about this Tom Hardy thing? Because this is a real quote: “I have a problem with killing—otherwise I’d be doing it. I have a fundamental issue with killing something. I can’t do it. I’ve tried, trust me. It’s not easy.”
- Anyway, here he is with his shirt off. [E! Online]
- I can’t put into words how much I love this story about Alan Rickman secretly marrying Rima Horton, his girlfriend of 40 years. [People]
- I can’t put into words how much I love Elizabeth Berkley posting about Showgirls on Instagram. [THG]
Photos via screengrab & Getty.
Contact the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.