Let’s dive into some grim news.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Remember how Ivanka Trump was supposed to be some sort of pro-woman envoy for her misogynist of a president dad? We already knew that was a sham, but a new report from Vanity Fair is a good reminder: Ivanka is allegedly Team Kavanaugh. Emphasis mine:
Last month, shortly after Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court was thrown into question on account of sexual misconduct allegations, many observers assumed that Ivanka and Kushner would provide similar counsel. Ivanka, after all, initially came into the White House as an official staffer in order to advocate for women’s issues. But the reality was more complex. In private, according to two people familiar with the situation, Ivanka has aligned herself with the position of her father and Kellyanne Conway—that while Ford deserved to be heard, Kavanaugh seems to be a good man. She has emphasized to her father that his measured response to the allegations, and acceptance of an F.B.I. investigation, has been generally well-received.
- According to GOP senators like sentient prune Chuck Grassley, the FBI report on sexual assault allegations against Brett Kavanaugh is imminent. Grassley believes that two days will leave “ample time for people to review” the FBI’s findings before senators vote at the end of the week. But it’s worth noting that the FBI hasn’t even interviewed Christine Blasey Ford, the first woman to go public with her accusations against Kavanaugh and who testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee last week. [Politico]
- During today’s White House press briefing, Sarah Huckabee Sanders claimed that Trump didn’t mock Christine Blasey Ford’s testimony during a campaign rally Tuesday; he was just “stating facts,” she said. [CNN]
- Despite being in the middle of an ethics nightmare, Senator Bob Menendez is leading the New Jersey senate race against Republican Bob Hugin by 53 percent to 42 percent. Democrats why? [Talking Points Memo]
- Melania Trump visited a castle where enslaved people were imprisoned before being forcibly sent to the Americas. It made her sad. [NBC]
- After being pretty damn ambivalent it, Republican voters suddenly care about the midterms again. Fuck. [NPR]
- To the surprise of no one, a survey shows that 56 percent of Republicans would vote for someone accused of sexual harassment. I mean, they did that already when they voted for Trump so bloop bloop bloop. [NBC]
- Here’s Lindsey Graham being a little shit.
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
Apple MacBook Air Laptop
The M1 chip delivers 3.5x faster performance than the previous generation all while using way less power. Get up to 18 hours of battery life.
This has been barf bag.