Much like the Simpsons at the end of “Bart vs. Australia,” Amber Heard is having the last laugh almost two years after her feud with the continent began. But before we get into this beautiful tale of revenge, allow me to give you a little refresher on this historic thunder-from-Down-Under.
In 2015, Heard and her then-husband Johnny Depp failed to declare their two Yorkshire terriers, Pistol and Boo, when traveling to the country for Depp’s Pirates of the Caribbean 71 shoot. They were accused of “dog-smuggling” and made public enemy #1 by Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce. “If you come into this nation and you don’t obey our laws,” he said at the time, “you’re in trouble.” Joyce even threatened to euthanize poor Pistol and Boo—a fate they ultimately avoided. To add insult to injury, it was on Barnaby’s Facebook that Heard and Depp’s now-infamous apology video was published.
So let’s fast forward roughly 16 months to this week, when Joyce began making international headlines for potentially being a citizen of New Zealand, which would render him ineligible to hold a parliamentary position. Apparently thrilled by the delicious irony of the news, Heard took it upon herself to send Joyce a gift.
And before you all start telling me the Simpsons actually lost at the end of that episode—what with the koala latching onto the helicopter—you know that thing wouldn’t have survived the journey back to America so don’t even start.
Rekindled love is in the air, pt. 1
Rekindled love is in the air, pt. 2
- Kate Hudson’s hair, athleisure edition. [People]
- Kate Hudson’s hair, ’90s coffee shop edition. [Us Weekly]
- Alec Baldwin and Ann Coulter didn’t interact at a recent Hamptons party and Page Six turned it into a hilarious non-story. [Page Six]
- I do not understand why people are charmed by Bill Murray. [Page Six]
- I’m not going to say what I want to say about this Aaron Rodgers story. [Page Six]