Vanderbilt University’s football team has been in PR crisis mode after two of its former players were found guilty of aggravated rape and aggravated sexual battery, a crime that the players blamed on a “college culture of binge drinking.” So, when the team tweeted out its new motto for this season, it was especially dumb.
I am honestly confused how brands fuck up so consistently and terribly. It is harder to think of a motto that is so blatantly offensive and rape-y like “We don’t need your permission!” than it is to think of one that is just sporty and fun.
Here are a few they could have opted for:
- We are the best at football!
- Cheer loudly because we are your friends!
- Watch our college’s Southern gentleman run up and down the field!
- We <3 tradition!
- We are used to winning at things and like it!
- Go, go, go!
- We train hard and are more physically fit than other teams!
- Violence is for the football field, not the bedroom!
- College is for consensual experimentation!
Shortly after posting the motto and receiving swift internet vitriol, the team took it down and issued an apology:
Oh, by the way, those convicted players were later released due to a mistrial. Their next trial has been scheduled for November 30.
Contact the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.