Time's 100 Most Influential People issue is out, and Beyoncé is on the cover!
The accompanying article is by Sheryl Sandberg (sure, why not); it starts, "Beyoncé doesn't just sit at the table. She builds a better one." Very true. Continues Sandberg, "Beyoncé has insisted that girls 'run the world' and declared, 'I'm not bossy, I'm the boss.' She raises her voice both on- and offstage to urge women to be independent and lead." It's wonderful to see a woman commended specifically for inspiring other women. This is way better than when I got the top honor just a few years ago.
"[Being in Time is] something important for me as an artist because it's not about fashion or beauty or music; it's about the influence I've had on culture," quoth Beyoncé. "To be among the other influential people is a huge honor for me."
Other notable pairings: Pharrell interviewed by Justin Timberlake; Hillary Clinton interviewed by Malala Yousafzai; Miley Cyrus interviewed by Dolly Parton; Robin Wright interviewed by Naomi Watts; Marina Abramovic interviewed by (sigh) James Franco. [TIME]
In other influencers-related news, SHAQ HAS A LINKEDIN PAGE. His current position is "Owner, A lot of companies." A rep for him has confirmed that it's real and simultaneously confirmed that beauty does exist in this dark and lonely world. [HuffPo]
Avril Lavigne has issued a very thoughtful response to criticisms that her new music video recirculates offensive, fetishizing and racist stereotypes of Japanese women. JUST KIDDING — on Twitter, she wrote, "RACIST??? LOLOLOL!!! I love Japanese culture," officially taking the coveted spot of Worst Non-Apology For Being Racist From a Female Pop Star in 2014. Pray 4 Avril. [E!]
- Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis welcomed a son onto the planet yesterday. His name is Otis, which is a stunning baby name. Congratulations to them! [Cosmo]
- Katy Perry collaborated with Claire's, a mall-based purveyor of inexpensive tiaras, to make a "Prism"-themed jewelry line (her album, not that NSA surveillance program) (or maybe both, idk, unclear). [Style Blazer]
- Prince George grew an extra fat roll in New Zealand, says DJ Kate Middleton. [Cosmo]
- Lake Bell is pregnant! She wore a really cool maternity romper. [E!]
- Oh, god, the maudlin post-breakup Coldplay songs are already erupting from Chris Martin's consciousness. We are powerless to stop it. [E!]
- Taylor Swift wore a cute lil hat. [E!]
- Is James Franco "A"??????????? (That was a little joke for all you Pretty Little Liars fans, I know you're out there somewhere.) [NY Daily News]
- Justin Bieber posted a throwback Thursday photo of him and Selena Gomez tending to his younger siblings, not even caring that Selena unfollowed him on Monday or whatever. The plot thickens. I'm at the edge of my seat, etc. [Gossip Cop]
- Spotted: totally regular guy Shia LaBeouf in his signature corduroy capris. [Just Jared]
- "Are Angel Haze and Ireland Baldwin the new Cara and Michelle?" asks this article, by which I think it means "are they two women who are dating?" Cara and Michelle, as we all know, are the first and only lesbian couple in the world, so, totally valid question!!!!! [ONTD]