Everyone in the path of Hurricane Florence, our thoughts are with you!
- Certainly an interesting choice to decide that today of all days was the right time for you to state that you think only “six to 18 deaths” occurred due to Hurricane Maria, Donald. [Twitter/CNN]
- Meanwhile, FEMA’s top disaster official is under investigation due to his penchant for using government vehicles for personal travel. [Politico]
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dislikes the hyperpartisan nature of Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation process, inadvertently reminding us along the way that she is 85 years old: “The way it was, was right. The way it is, is wrong.” RBG, please remember to take your vitamins! We need you! [Talking Points Memo]
- Government agencies are basically one big ATM for ICE now. [NBC News]
- The U.S. government is cutting aid to Syria and refugee programs but apparently we can find $20 million to give Mexico to help the country speed up deportations of Central Americans. Okay. [New York Times]
- A bright spot (for once!) in immigration news: as many as 1,000 parents who were separated from their children will now get another chance to make their asylum claims. [Vox]
- Every time Betsy DeVos loses, a tiny part of my soul dies because I take an unholy amount of unbridled pleasure in imagining her sorrow. [CNN]
- I can’t even begin to pretend that I understand why the NRA put a KKK hood on Thomas the Tank Engine characters. Someone please explain! [New York Times]
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos now plans on training preschoolers to be the next generation of underpaid employees at his warehouses. Just kidding. (Am I though?) [The Hill]
- Amy Schumer, after declaring her support for New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, revealed she actually voted for...Cynthia Nixon. Twist. [Instagram]
This has been Barf Bag.