- During a Sirius Radio interview, CNN's Rick Sanchez called Jon Stewart a "bigot", implied the media is controlled by Jews, and said network bosses passed him over for a promotion because he's Cuban-American. CNN responded by firing him.
- Sanchez claimed yesterday that he lost CNN's 8pm time slot because CNN executives reserve the top jobs for "the high-profile white guys." He added, "I think Jon Stewart's a bigot... I think he looks at the world through his mom who was a schoolteacher and his dad who was a physicist, or something like that. Great, I'm so happy that he grew up in a suburban, middle class New Jersey home with everything that you could ever imagine." When it was pointed out that Jon is also a minority he said, "What are you kidding? I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart and a lot of people who run all the other networks... And to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority?" Late this afternoon, CNN announced Sanchez is no longer working at the company. [MSNBC]
- Beverly Hills jewelry designer Shery Shabani claims in divorce papers that her husband tried to run David Beckham off the road after falsely accusing her of having an affair with him. Shery, who is a friend of Victoria Beckham's, says, "David Beckham is a nice guy, there is no relationship, nothing. This has nothing to do with David, this is my husband's craziness." [Radar]
- David Beckham's "friend" says, "People make wild accusations about celebrities all the time and then stories get written that aren't true. I think it's pretty obvious that's what's happening here." [Radar]
- Devon James claims she's sold a 62-minute sex tape starring Tiger Woods. "We made a deal with a DVD production company," says her husband. "We're going to sell the video online and we get half the profits of all sales." [Radar]
- Michael Lohan says of his plan to put Lindsay Lohan under a conservatorship, "Now that someone has leaked to Lindsay that I am doing this, (and I'm sure they didn't say why), I am going to talk to her and try to explain. I don't want her to be stressed out while she is trying to get better." [Radar]
- The findings of the Mel Gibson domestic abuse investigation have been turned over to the D.A.'s office, but prosecutors won't move forward with the case until the investigation into Oksana Grigorieva's alleged extortion plot is finished. [LAT]
- Oksana's child support payments have been increased from $5,000 a month to $20,000 a month. [TMZ]
- Oksana's lawyer still isn't happy. He told the paparazzi, "Everything in Hollywood is to excess. Mel Gibson is worth upwards of $1 billion. It's a very modest award by Hollywood standards and a very high award by normal people standards." [TMZ]
- Sarah Palin has obtained a temporary restraining order against an 18-year-old man who has allegedly been sending her threatening e-mails and letters, including the receipt for a gun. [Radar]
- R&B singer Mario has been arrested for allegedly assaulting his mother in the apartment they share. [TMZ]
- Mario was charged with second-degree assault and released on $50,000 bail. [Radar]
- Christopher Plummer has signed on to play Henrik Vanger in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. [People]
- Paris Hilton will star in a new reality show on Oxygen. A source excitedly declares, "This isn't The Simple Life, where she played a campy version of herself. This show will give viewers a glimpse of the real Paris and her life, which is sometimes quite amazing." [LAT]
- Comic-Con will stay in San Diego through 2015. [NYT]
- Janine Lindemulder claims Jesse James won't let their daughter Sunny go to her great-grandmother's funeral. [Radar]
- Eddie Cibrian's divorce from Brandi Glanville has been finalized. [TMZ]
- Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt lit a bonfire and burned their divorce papers while eating smores. Yawn. [TMZ]
- A memorial service will be held for Tony Curtis on Monday. [UPI]
- RHONJ's Jacqueline Laurita has been called as a witness against in the defamation case between Danielle Staub and her ex, but she wants to get out of it. "I really don't want to go back to that dark place. Every time I've moved on the tide tries to pull me back in. I'm enjoying the sun. Let me be," says Jacqueline. [TMZ]
- The auction of Teresa Giudice's belongings has been called off. The items will be sold privately instead. [People]
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione are dirty and bruised in the new posters for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. [EW]
- When Oprah asked J.K. Rowling if she'll ever write another Harry Potter book she said, "I could definitely write an eighth, ninth, tenth, I'm not going to say I won't. I don't think I will … I feel I am done, but you never know." [People]
I could kill Michael Lohan.
It's not that I am a Lindsay fan. Far from it-I'm as sick of her as everyone else is (right?)
But he's following in the footsteps of Jaimie Spears-an estranged father all of a sudden in charge of his daughters entire life-and money-because of a "breakdown."
Ah. So people suffering from mental illness and/or drug abuse deserve to have all of their rights limited for an unidentified (re: forever) period, because it's money, money, money for someone who did an irreparable amount of harm to them for the rest of their lives prior to now?
God, it makes me stabby! It's blatantly not about helping these girls, because it's from people who have mostly just a blood relationship with them, who are hugely benefiting from keeping them under their control. At least jail (which I don't agree using for addicts, since it doesn't cure their addiction at all, and traumatizes them more usually) as Britney Spears said "You know at least you'll have a time when you get out."