Esther Jenner has spoken out about daughter Caitlyn Jenner‘s groundbreaking Vanity Fair cover, saying, “I still have to call him Bruce. His father and I named him that. It’s going to be a struggle for me to get used to the change, but happily so…I’m very happy for him—or her.”
While Esther’s use of “son” in lieu of daughter and “Bruce” in lieu of “Caitlyn” isn’t preferable, it is helpful in shedding light on how the families of trans people manage transitions. Esther’s honesty with her struggle—and willingness to push through it—could be very helpful to other parents in the future.
Talking to Access Hollywood, Esther says she was introduced to Caitlyn’s fully transitioned identity last month:
“I was there last week, well actually, I got home a week and a half ago. And I met Caitlyn. She is… so much more at ease.”
Congratulations to the newly engaged Iggy Azalea and Nick Young!
Young—who plays for the LA Lakers—proposed yesterday during his 30th birthday party. The moment was captured on camera by Karen Civil who, like any friend would, immediately posted it on Twitter. Azalea and Young have been dating for a year and a half. Mazel tov to the pair of them. [US Weekly]
Here’s your annual reminder that Vince Vaughn is a fairly extreme libertarian. During an interview with British GQ, the True Detective actor talked about carrying guns in public schools and, unsurprisingly if you’ve read any of Vaughn’s past interviews, he’s all for it.
“I support people having a gun in public full stop, not just in your home,” he began, continuing:
“We don’t have the right to bear arms because of burglars; we have the right to bear arms to resist the supreme power of a corrupt and abusive government. It’s not about duck hunting; it’s about the ability of the individual. It’s the same reason we have freedom of speech. It’s well known that the greatest defence against an intruder is the sound of a gun hammer being pulled back. All these gun shootings that have gone down in America since 1950, only one or maybe two have happened in non-gun-free zones. Take mass shootings. They’ve only happened in places that don’t allow guns. These people are sick in the head and are going to kill innocent people. They are looking to slaughter defenceless human beings. They do not want confrontation. In all of our schools it is illegal to have guns on campus, so again and again these guys go and shoot up these fucking schools because they know there are no guns there. They are monsters killing six-year-olds.”
Do go on, Vince...
“You think the politicians that run my country and your country don’t have guns in the schools their kids go to? They do. And we should be allowed the same rights. Banning guns is like banning forks in an attempt to stop making people fat. Taking away guns, taking away drugs, the booze, it won’t rid the world of criminality.”
- Many celebrities have tweeted their support of Caitlyn Jenner. [POPSUGAR]
- Former Nickelodeon star Drake Bell was not one of them. [Billboard]
- Kim Kardashian’s second pregnancy is making her “feel like shit.” [Gossip Cop]
- But is she even pregnant?!?! [Bossip]
- Definitely not pregnant: Lady Gaga. [Gossip Cop]
- The battle over Robin Williams’ estate is far from over. [People]
- Lisa Kudrow says to not hold your breath waiting for a Friends reunion: “The six of us can’t even meet for dinner.” [Just Jared]
- Here’s a photo of Mila Kunis’ escaped stalker. [Dlisted]
- Chet Haze, frat boy rapper and son of Tom Hanks, wrote about “yall hating azz niggaz” on Instagram. [Instagram]
- Can’t believe Jennifer Lawrence is spending her twenties hanging out with Chris Martin and Bono. [TMZ]
Photos via Vanity Fair/screengrab/Getty.