In a lengthy reported feature for The New Yorker, journalists Ronan Farrow and Jia Tolentino unearth harrowing new details about Britney Spears already quite harrowing 13-year conservatorship. Among them:
Britney Spears Escapes Family Drama By Going to First Bar
- Britney called 911 on the eve of her conservatorship hearing in June to report that she’d been the victim of conservatorship abuse
- Remember that night in 2008 when she was wheeled out of her home on a gurney and involuntarily hospitalized after locking herself in a bathroom with one of her sons? Turns out she was upset and distressed over her custody arrangement with ex-husband, Kevin Federline, and wanted more time with her kids.
- Her dad, Jamie Spears, allegedly yelled “I am Britney Spears!” while establishing his daughter’s conservatorship, from which he ultimately benefited greatly.
- Many of the people close to Spears around the time her conservatorship was set up, including a court-appointed monitor and one of the psychiatrists who provided the necessary declaration that she lacked mental fitness, agree that her conservatorship should have ended by now.
- Jamie was allegedly more concerned about Britney’s weight gain than her mental health through all this.
- Her dad also fired everyone who’d previously worked for her before the conservatorship was established, effectively isolating her. He also didn’t let her have a phone and would have any phone snuck into her possession confiscated.
- Industry folks that Britney had often worked with like makeup artist Billy B. noticed how distant and closed-off she’d become by around 2012.
- Kim Vo, Spears’ former hairstylist, implied that Britney’s conservators got rid of her boyfriends whenever they got “too close.”
- Britney already talked about this in her June hearing, but the IUD she’s not allowed to take out...just appalling.
Read the full feature here.