The Queen’s birthday honors come but once a year, and the damehoods and knighthoods and MBEs and OBEs and CBEs were bequeathed this weekend for services to charity, literature, development of various business sectors, and so on, but to the point, here are our beloved celebrities who have pleased the Queen and her subjects with their acting and philanthropic activities:
- Tom Hardy, CBE (commander of the British empire)
- Kiera Knightly, OBA (officer of the British empire)
- Emma Thompson, Dame (DAME)
Dame Emma Thompson joins the ranks of Dame Judy Dench, Dame Helen Mirren, Dame Julie Andrews, Dame Angela Lansbury, Dame Kate Winslet, Dames Meryl Streep and Angelina Jolie, and Dame Dowager Countess Maggie Smith, and I wonder whether they hang out, and if so, what they talk about, and whether they get sloshed all day, which you can do when you’re British and important.
- Ms Dynamite a.k.a. Niomi McLean-Daley, MBE (member of the British empire)
- 20-year-old Paralympic skier and several-time medalist Menna Fitzpatrick, MBE
- Rosemary Powell, a 103-year-old WWII nurse who sells poppies, MBE
- Broadcaster and historian Lucy Worsley, MBE
- Documentary filmmaker Stacey Dooley, MBE
Classics scholar Mary Beard, whose new book Women & Power documents ancient roots of misogyny, has also been awarded damehood and naturally expects to be trolled mercilessly.
We were promised an Abby Lee Miller tell-all, we get an Abby Lee Miller tell-all. I think “tell-all” implies some corruption or misdeeds we need to know about, and this is the Dance Moms star who openly tortured children on television and then went to prison for a year for bankruptcy fraud. What more do we need to know, Abby?????
She’ll tell us, I guess.
- Rosie O’Donnell has reconciled with her 20-year-old estranged daughter who reportedly ran away from home at 17 and is now pregnant, which is a lot of new information. [People]
- Oh no, David and Victoria Beckham caught divorce rumors. Get well soon. [Daily Mail]
- No, those additional kids seen with Angelina are not her children. [Inquisitr]
- Run-of-the-mill money drama between Mariah Carey and her former manager Stella Bulochnikov who claims Mariah owes her $5 million in backpay, if you like. [RadarOnline]