While most celebrities have come forward to voice their support of Bruce Jenner for coming out as transgender during his recent interview with Diane Sawyer, one brave outlier—so committed to going against the grain as a famous person that you might not even know who she is—has spoken up against him.
“Nope,” wrote Star Trek’s Alice Eve in a now deleted Instagram post. “If you were a woman no one would have heard of you because women can’t compete in the decathlon. You wouldn’t be a hero. You would be a frustrated young athlete who wasn’t given a chance.”
“Until women are paid the same as men, then playing at being a ‘woman’ while retaining the benefits of being a man is unfair. Do you have a vagina? Are you paid less than men? Then, my friend, you are a woman.”
Eve received immediate backlash and has since apologized, posting:
“I deeply apologize for offending anyone,” she told Page Six in a statement. “I support equal rights and equal dignity for all. I have deep compassion and support for Bruce Jenner. My intention was not to offend. My intention was simply to express that, with the overdue and welcome acceptance of us all living on a gender spectrum, we must encourage equality for all.”
There are many appropriate events that you can use to make an intelligent argument about equal pay. The transgender movement is currently not one of them.
Speaking of equality, Kristen Stewart says that “Hollywood is disgustingly sexist” in her recent interview with Harper’s Bazaar UK. “Women inevitably have to work a little bit harder to be heard,” she tells the magazine.
As for sex scenes, Stewart “only [hates] them when they’re contrived.”
“That’s when it’s grotesquely uncomfortable. On Twilight we had to do the most epic sex scene of all time. It had to be transcendent and otherworldly, inhuman, better sex than you can possibly ever imagine, and we were like, ‘How do we live up to that? It was agony. Which sucks, because I wanted it to be so good.”
Well, bless your heart, Kristen. [Just Jared]
The celebrity sex tape America gets is the celebrity sex tape that America deserves and truth be told, we don’t deserve all that much. 20-year-old Courtney Stodden—the young woman famous for marrying Doug Hutchinson, then 51, when she was 16—is shopping around a sex tape. Thankfully, the video is a “solo effort” that is among “the most unique footage” that Vivid Entertainment’s Steve Hirsch has ever seen. (I say “thankfully” because the idea of a sex tape featuring Doug Hutchinson makes me want to climb down into the subway tunnels and live out the rest of my life as a mole person.) [Dlisted]
- Our husband Mark Ruffalo thinks it’s bullshit that Marvel doesn’t sell more Black Widow merchandise. [The Daily Dot]
- Wiz Khalifa’s new verse suggests that he really misses Amber Rose. [Bossip]
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch creator (and the show’s current Broadway star) John Cameron Mitchell will receive the 2015 Special Tony Award. [Billboard]
- Could Miley Cyrus be “hanging out” with Liam Hemsworth again? [US Weekly]
- Amy Adams might be getting hitched this weekend. [Just Jared]
- Jezebel’s best friend/Fox News correspondent Andrea Tantaros is dating Dave Navarro. Good for you, girl! [Page Six]
- Of course it’s ROSS who’s holding up the Friends reunion. [Dlisted]
- But let’s be honest with ourselves and David Schwimmer—do we even need a Friends reunion?
- Zac Efron wandered around set in his underoos. [Billboard]
- On the other side of the coin: Here is Shia LaBeouf and his rat tail, carrying around some logs. [TMZ]
Photos via ABC News screenshot & Getty.