Words Pippa Middleton Uses When She Writes

Illustration for article titled Words Pippa Middleton Uses When She Writes

Pippa Middleton "wrote" an "article" for Vanity Fair. She used (typed?) words.

The piece, which serves as a guide to Royal Ascot Week, the premier Thoroughbred racing event in Great Britain, is accompanied by a photograph of Ms. Middleton holding binoculars and the caption "The author with binoculars." There are words in the story. Some of these words are rather curious.


Here are some words used:

film stars

Do people really talk/write like this? Was this edited? Does Pippa actually say "film stars"? Is she the Dowager Countess? Does she pronounce it "fillum"? They're called movie stars. Try it: Moooo-vie. What's that? No, you don't sound like a cow. You sound like a normal human.

passed on like a dead man's shoes

Blink. Blink.

fanciful turban

Okay, sure.

characterful hat

I can, with grave certainty, say that I have never ever seen the word "characterful" before, and obviously "characterful hat" is a completely new and unexpected turn of phrase for me. Still digesting.

quintessentially English jamboree

Oh. The opulent, incredibly exclusive, aristocrat-laden event at which 11 monarchs have been in attendance and Her Majesty is present — and has been since 1945 — to which "gentlemen" must wear top hats — is a jamboree? Righto.



I haven't experimented with a wacky statement headpiece just yet, but I'm working on it!



People really talk about film stars. They see them at the cinema. Britons; they're (English speaking) people too!