Woman's Eye Glued Shut After Friend Mistakes Super Glue for Eye Drops

Illustration for article titled Womans Eye Glued Shut After Friend Mistakes Super Glue for Eye Drops

Super glue can be a godsend. Aside from putting a broken vase back together, people have used it to seal up minor cuts and temporarily fix cracked fingernails. For Katherine Gaydos, super glue became her worst nightmare when one of her eyes was accidentally glued shut with the liquid adhesive.

Advertisement

The incident occurred when debris from a nearby leaf blower flew into her eye, reports WPBF-TV (via ABC News.) Gaydos screamed for a friend to get eye drops out of her purse, but they instead brought super glue. “As soon as I felt it in my eye I felt it burn and I closed my eye and screamed ‘Call 911,’” Gaydos told WPBF-TV. Who was this “friend” who supposedly did not check the eye drops before squirting it into her eye? This poor woman.

Gaydos went to her doctor, who at first suggested surgery, but will be able to remove the glue. “He said I should get my sight back, and not have permanent damage,” Gaydos said.

Advertisement

Mistaking super glue for eye drops seems to be a common occurrence, as demonstrated by several Google search results. Sounds like there needs to be a major redesign for eye drops packaging or people need to be paranoid enough to double check whatever they’re about to squirt into their eyes.


Contact the author at marie.lodi@jezebel.com.

Image via ABC News.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter

DISCUSSION

chritter
chritter is a nocturnal feminist mancatfish

First off, I’m relieved this lady will not suffer permanent damage. That’s a small blessing. I had a hard time wrapping my head around this: she had both super glue and eye drops in her purse? And her friend picked the wrong one? That seemed incredibly unlikely. But then there’s this:

“More than 900 people from NSW put superglue in their eye instead of eye drops over eight years, a review of calls to the NSW Poisons Information Centre between 2004 and 2011 has found.”

More than 900 people? In one part of Australia??

Time for a serious packaging redesign. The government-mandated kind. Cause that’s way too many.