Things are not looking great in the world of Wendy Williams. On Tuesday, it was announced that she won’t be returning to her daytime talk show this season and that it’s unclear if she’ll even return at all. Sherri Shepherd has already been tapped to step in for Williams and host the rest of the 13th season of The Wendy Williams Show.
The premiere of Williams’ show last year was initially pushed back after she tested positive for covid. It was later pushed back further due to her “ongoing health issues,” as Williams has been battling the autoimmune disorder Graves’ disease. Upon the show finally premiering on October 18, 2021, it returned with rotating guest hosts, which have included Shepherd. Sources told Variety that Shepherd “has been popular with audiences” and “emerged as the frontrunner to possibly take over Williams’ timeslot” if Williams does not return.
In November, Williams wrote in a statement on Instagram that she’s thankful for “all of my staff and our guest hosts for stepping up and stepping in while I can’t be there” and that she’s heard the “prayers and comments” from fans and feels “all the love!”
“I love spending my mornings with you all and I’m doing everything I can to get back to work, but right now Wendy has to focus on Wendy. I love you for watching,” she said at the time.
Shepherd is slated to begin hosting as of September 2022, as per Page Six. If Williams isn’t well enough, the publication claims that “Shepherd will take over and producers will consider a name change for the talk show.”
Prayers up for Wendy.
- Nelly is sorry for posting a video of himself getting head on his Instagram Story. [Yahoo]
- Apparently people thought Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom got secretly married. They didn’t. Sad! [E! Online]
- Kanye is publicly pleading for his family to get back together... [Instagram]
- ...But is also in an open relationship with Julia Fox? [Page Six]
- If you’re craving what’s sure to be mediocre pasta and live in LA, Eminem’s restaurant, Mom’s Spaghetti, is doing a pop up. [People]
- Men have too much money at their disposal: Kevin Hart gifted Nick Cannon a condom vending machine. [Instagram]
- Even Jane Campion thinks Lady Gaga was robbed! [The Hollywood Reporter]