Did you have a nice President’s Day?
- In the wake of the Parkland shooting, Trump instructed the Justice Department to put together a regulation banning bump stocks, an extremely uncontroversial and minimal regulation that Congress very recently failed to do for no discernible reason. A ban on bump stocks, of course, would not stop a disturbed 19-year-old from legally purchasing an AR-15, but that is what’s happening. The Mar-a-Lago guests spoke, I guess. [Politico]
- In front of survivors of the Parkland shooting, the Florida House declined to consider an assault weapons ban. [Sun-Sentinel]
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions has created a “Cyber-Digital Task Force” at the Justice Department to investigate election interference and “advise me on the most effective ways that this Department can confront these threats and keep the American people safe.” I would feel a lot more confident about this task force if its name wasn’t extremely redundant? [The Hill]
- Looks like Jared is holding onto that interim security clearance. [Politico]
- Don Jr., meanwhile, is in India for ethically dubious reasons, and his takeaway is: Poor people are so happy here! “You go through a town, and I don’t mean to be glib about it, but you can see the poorest of the poor, and there is still a smile on a face ... It’s a different spirit that you don’t see in other parts of the world where people walk around so solemn,” he said. [The Hill]
This has been Barf Bag.