In order for the video above to make any sense at all, there are some things you should know:
- The Real co-host Adrienne Houghton (née Bailon) was once a member of the TRL-era R&B girl group 3LW (if you remember any of their songs, it is most likely “No More (Baby I’ma Do Right)”).
- Naturi Naughton, an actor with a stable career (she’s probably best known for her role as Tasha in Power), was also in that group with Houghton.
- Naughton left the group in 2002 under highly contentious circumstances that involved an argument with the mother of third LW Kiely Williams, whose name is Michelle Williams (and is not to be confused with the Destiny’s Child member or Jen Lindley on Dawson’s Creek).
- (Although if you want to confuse them, go right ahead, it might be fun.)
- Here’s where it gets good, though: In a 2002 interview with MTV News, Naughton described the fight that led to her 3LW departure:
“There was an argument between me and Michelle [Williams],” the 18-year-old singer told MTV News, referring to the group’s manager, who is also member Kiely Williams’ mother. “And Kiely and Adrienne [Bailon, the group’s third member,] are cursing me out, and before I know it, Kiely throws her plate of food all in my face — mashed potatoes, macaroni all in my hair, down my clothes, messing up my [hair]do! Nobody has the right to hit me. That’s not what I’m here for, ... to be physically abused. So I said, ‘Get me a flight back to Newark, New Jersey,’ and they wouldn’t even help me get a ticket.”
Well, Houghton and Naughton reunited in front of cameras for an episode of The Real that will air tomorrow and the results were decidedly less...operatic than the described food fight. God, getting older is boring.