Many in Hollywood continue to come forward with harsh words for Harvey Weinstein, as well as hopeful hypotheses that these revelations (allegations all, but damning in their volume and content), will encourage other victims of sexual assault by powerful predators to share their stories.
That appears to be what happened on Tuesday, when the actor and former NFL player Terry Crews composed a lengthy Twitter thread in which he stated that the Weinstein accusations were “giving him PTSD.” Crews claimed, “My wife n I were at a Hollywood function last year n a high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates.”
According to Crews, his wife saw the incident take place and he “was going to kick his ass,” then imagined the next day’s headline, something along the lines of “‘240 lbs. Black Man Stomps out Hollywood Honcho.’”
“I understand and empathize with those who have remained silent,” wrote Crews. “But Harvey Weinstein is not the only predator.”
Apple MacBook Air Laptop
The M1 chip delivers 3.5x faster performance than the previous generation all while using way less power. Get up to 18 hours of battery life.
The thread continues on from there—16 tweets I encourage you to read all the way through.
Viola Davis added her voice to the swelling chorus of celebrity condemnations leveled at Harvey Weinstein. The list truly goes on and on, but I found Davis’s response particularly poignant and forceful.
In her statement, published by Variety on Tuesday, Davis wrote:
“The predator wants your silence. It feeds their power, entitlement AND they want it to feed your shame.”
“Our bodies are not the ‘spoils of war’… a trophy to be collected to fuel your ego. It’s OURS!!! It doesn’t belong to you!! And when you take it without permission, it DESTROYS…… like a virus!!!”
“To the predators.. Weinstein, the stranger, the relative, the boyfriend…. I say to you, ‘You can choose your sin but you don’t get to choose the consequences.’ To the victims…. I see you. I believe you… and I’m listening.”
- The Black Eyed Peas’ new comic book is way too complicated for me to understand. [Vulture]
- Anthony Bourdain has publicly thrown his support behind his girlfriend (and alleged Harvey Weinstein victim) Asia Argento. [Page Six]
- Tracee Ellis Ross claims casting didn’t recognize her when she auditioned for Blackish. [Page Six]
- Two pregnant, blonde Kardashienners co-snapchatting. [People]
- Might a Pussycat Dolls reunion be in the works? [Buzzfeed]
- Tag yourself in this Margot Robbie interview, I’m the girls wearing lingerie in the snow. [People]