Tennessee Wal-Mart Employees File Yet Another Lawsuit Accusing the Retailer of Gender Discrimination

Illustration for article titled Tennessee Wal-Mart Employees File Yet Another Lawsuit Accusing the Retailer of Gender Discrimination

The series of discrimination lawsuits against Wal-Mart has officially become a trilogy, with news today that three Tennessee employees have sued the bloated retailer, claiming that they lost pay and promotion opportunities simply because they are women.

Advertisement

The Barrett Johnston law firm representing the plaintiffs filed Tuesday in Nashville, saying that this latest lawsuit was the third of its kind. After the Supreme Court initially ruled that the women involved in the Betty Dukes et al vs. Wal-Mart Stores could not be considered a class because they failed to show significant commonality or an explicit policy that would unite their circumstances, Wal-Mart's lawyers told a judge back in July 2011that they wouldn't prevent women from being able to "start the clock fresh" with a 120-extension to file smaller-scale claims.

All three of the plaintiffs in the latest suit are ten-year plus Wal-Mart veterans. Cheryl Phipps of Covington, Tenn. and Shawn Gibbons of Cookeville each claim that they were denied management training, and Bobbie Millner of Jackson claims that an apparently idiotic Wal-Mart manager told her that "men needed to earn more" than women when she wondered out loud why a male employee with less experience than her was raking in more pay. The suit seeks class-action status to represent female Wal-Mart Inc. workers in Tennessee and parts of Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia and Mississippi, and one hopes that these women fare better in the courts than their predecessors.

3 women workers claim Wal-Mart discrimination [CBS]

DISCUSSION

showbiz2
showbiz2

My wife was an HR executive at one time, before she decided she wanted to live and not feel scummy. She told me that for her company, when hiring negotiations came around, they always made it a point to offer the same money to either male or female candidates. She said that 90% of female candidates simply accepted what was offered. The other 10 percent typically got more because they asked for it. She also said that 75% of male applicants would ask for more money. They didn't always get it, because of experience, but for the most part, they did get a bit more. The other 25% of males also simply accepted it.