Here are 29 covers from the hallowed, heavy September fashion issues (click to soak it all in). So how do Vogue, Elle, and the smaller titles stack up? Let's put September to a full statistical analysis.
Click the image to enlarge for the full, glossy effect.
First, titles and cover stars, from left to right:
Row 1: Allure, Kim Kardashian; Harper's Bazaar US (subscriber cover), Jennifer Aniston; Harper's Bazaar Australia, Elle MacPherson; Harper's Bazaar US (newsstand cover), Jennifer Aniston; Harper's Bazaar Japan, Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise; Harper's Bazaar UK (subscriber cover), Gisele Bündchen; Cosmopolitan US, Jessica Alba; Dazed & Confused, Dakota Fanning; Elle US, Julia Roberts.
Row 2: Elle UK, Emily Blunt; Essence, Naomi Campbell, Iman Abdulmajid, and Liya Kebede; Flare, Doutzen Kroes; Glamour US, Jennifer Lopez; Glamour UK, Katy Perry; i-D, three covers, Kate Moss, Lady Gaga, and Naomi Campbell; LOVE, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley.
Row 3: Lucky, Jessica Simpson; Marie Claire US, three covers, Mary-Kate Olsen; More, Laura Linney; Teen Vogue, Victoria Justice; Vanity Fair US & UK, Lady Gaga; Vogue US, Halle Berry; Vogue Australia, Catherine McNeil.
Caprea’s Essential Organic PH Cleanser is just $10 with promo code TEN. Normally $19, this foaming face wash is crafted with organic Monoi oil. It’s meant to target the production of oil secretion while protecting your skin against air pollution. Normally $19, you can save big on this richly-lathering face wash while supporting a brand that keeps the environment top of mind.
Row 4: Vogue Japan, Natasha Poly; Vogue Portugal, Olga Scherer; Vogue UK, Kate Moss; Vogue Germany, Constance Jablonksi; Vogue China, two covers, Feifei Sun, Liu Wen, Ming Xi, Shu Pei Qin, and Tao Okamoto; W, triple gatefold, Yaya DaCosta, Jennifer Lawrence, Greta Gerwig, Kat Dennings, Jessica Chastain, Emma Roberts, Zoe Kravitz, and Mary-Elizabeth Winstead.
September By The Numbers
- Number of magazines pictured above: 29
- Number of people on all the covers of these magazines: 48 (including six people with covers of LOVE, not pictured)
- Notable magazines not appearing here: Vogue Paris and Vogue Italia, neither of which is out yet
- Number of magazines that have multiple covers: 8 (counting Harper's Bazaar US & UK's subscriber and newsstand covers; LOVE's eight covers; Glamour UK's eight regional covers, each of which features Katy Perry; i-D's three covers; American Marie Claire's three covers; Vogue China's two covers; and W's triple gatefold cover)
- Number of covers featuring Gisele Bündchen: 2 (counting one cover of LOVE, not pictured)
- Number of covers featuring Naomi Campbell: 2
- Number of covers featuring Kate Moss: 2
- Number of covers featuring Lady Gaga: 2
- Number of covers featuring one or more people of color: 6
- Total number of people of color on all of these magazines: 12
- 12 out of 48 makes: 25%
- Number of years since a black woman was last on the September cover of American Vogue: 21
- Year in which American Vogue first featured a black cover model: 1974, with Beverly Johnson
- Ratio of actresses : singers : models: 21 : 3 : 23
- Number of reality television stars who wanted to be on a magazine cover without first staging a fight with a female family member: 1
- Ratio of women : men: 47 : 1
- Oldest person on a September cover: Lauren Hutton, 66, LOVE (not pictured)
- Youngest person on a September cover: Dakota Fanning, 16, Dazed & Confused
- Number of women over 40 on a September cover: 10, including American Elle, Vogue, and Glamour
- Uncanny Valley Award For Most Outrageous Photoshop: Essence
- Most wtf hair: American Vogue
- Number of magazines in addition to i-D, where such a pose is traditional, where a person on the cover was snapped covering up or closing one eye: 5
- Number of black-and-white covers: 8, counting Hutton's LOVE cover and the subscriber covers of US & UK Harper's Bazaar
- Prettiest cover: Gisele Bündchen for Harper's Bazaar UK, duh
- Number of covers pictured above with the word "Va-jay-jay" in 48-point font: 1
- Number of covers pictured above with the words "Fall Fashion": 9
- Number of issues claiming to be the "Fashion Issue": 6
- Number of American nationals involved in the creation of Vogue Japan's "American Beauty" cover: probably zero, given the fashion editor is Italian, the photographers are Dutch, and the model is Russian
- Achievement Award For Most Awkward Pose: jointly given to Jessica Simpson and Elle MacPherson
- Most original cover of a mainstream magazine: Lady Gaga on Vanity Fair. Duh.