Instagram model and fitness blogger Rebecca Burger died this weekend after being struck in the chest when a faulty whipped cream dispenser exploded in her kitchen, sending her into cardiac arrest.

The Washington Post reports that whoever is now in charge of her Instagram account posted an image of the type of dispenser that killed Burger, writing, “Here’s an example of the cartridge/siphon for whipped cream that exploded and struck Rebecca’s chest, killing her. Take note: the cartridge that caused her death was sealed. Do not use this type of device in your home! Tens of thousands of these appliances are still in circulation.”


The way whipped cream dispensers work is by using nitrous oxide canisters. If a canister is punctured, the gas will be released and the whole thing will become pressurized. According to the French website 60 Millions, two people were seriously injured by dispensers in 2014, and the French economy ministry issued a warning to consumers about them.

USA Today reports that the maker of the product, Ard’time, claims the dispenser hasn’t been on the market since a “first incident implicating a siphon” in February 2013, but added, “Unfortunately, there are still lots of siphons of all brands that remain potentially dangerous as time passes.”

Benjamin Douriez, the deputy editor of 60 Millions, told USA Today by phone that this is the first death they’ve heard of from one of these explosions but they knew it would happen one day.”


Firefighters brought back Burger’s heartbeat at the scene, but she never regained consciousness and died in the hospital. USA Today reports that an investigation into who is at fault for the accident is underway.


Contributing Writer, writing my first book for the Dial Press called The Lonely Hunter, follow me on Twitter @alutkin

Share This Story

Get our newsletter