As our leader likes to say—“enjoy!”
- It’s one of those days where the president is reportedly “unraveling” and “consumed by dark moods,” so we’ve got a big week ahead of us, I guess—or maybe no week ahead of us at all, ha ha! A real quote attributed to the president in this Gabriel Sherman report, according to two unnamed sources, is: “I hate everyone in the White House! There are a few exceptions, but I hate them!” Same, babe! [Vanity Fair]
- So, speaking of unraveling, here we go: according to NBC News, on July 20, Trump, according to three officials who were in the room, pushed for a “nearly tenfold increase in the US nuclear arsenal” which is what reportedly drove his Secretary of State to refer to him as a “moron.” Following this NBC report, Trump evidently decided that reporters can no longer do news, declaring at an Oval Office meeting with Justin Trudeau that it is “frankly disgusting the press is able to write whatever it wants to write.” Then he tweeted: “With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!” Hm, no, I would say that precisely this is Bad for country, and also—not to make it about me!—for my stomach biome, which is currently brimming with acid. [NBC, Washington Post]
- He also threatened to terminate NAFTA again. [The Hill]
- Trump has nominated Kirstjen Nielson, John Kelly’s former chief of staff, as Homeland Security Secretary. [ABC]
- The White House is piling even more loans on Puerto Rico. [The Intercept]
- Mitch McConnell is eroding more Senate traditions in an attempt to create a conservative Judiciary. [Politico]
This has been Barf Bag.