Welcome to Megyn Kelly Today, Today, a daily column in which we will share the most memorable things that happened on Megyn Kelly Today every morning until we are no longer able to watch Megyn Kelly Today without feeling like there will be no tomorrow.
September 18, 2017
- Kate Dries messaged Bobby Finger on GMG’s internal chat system and said, “So Megyn Kelly starts on Today next week and I think you would be the perfect person to cover.”
- Bobby Finger responded, “Oh my god I forgot about that.”
- Kate Dries responded, “Let’s brainstorm some ideas this week of stuff that would be funny/informative.”
September 19, 2017
- Bobby Finger asked Kate Dries, “Should I watch the whole week and prep for Friday, or do something Monday or Tuesday?”
- Kate Dries responded, “I think let’s play it by ear? Like it could be five short little posts on Megyn’s first week...And honestly if it was really fun you could do it for a while, either every day or sporadically.”
- Bobby Finger suggested the name “Megyn Kelly Today, Today.”
October 16, 2017
- Bobby Finger and Kate Dries had the following exchange:
November 10, 2017
- Bobby Finger received an email from a very nice NBC employee named Dana Klinghoffer asking if he’d like tickets to Megyn Kelly Today.
- Bobby Finger opened the attachment, which was a handwritten note from Megyn Kelly herself:
- Bobby Finger wrote a note back to Megyn Kelly and asked Dana Klinghoffer to forward it along:
- Dana Klinghoffer responded the following week with tickets to the Friday, November 17 episode of Megyn Kelly Today.
- Bobby Finger asked for a +1.
- Bobby Finger offered the +1 to his editor and friend, Kate Dries.
November 17, 2017
- Bobby Finger’s alarm went off at 5:45 am.
- Bobby Finger put on a red suit and left his apartment at 6:15 am.
- Bobby Finger took a train into Manhattan and emerged in midtown at 7:00 am.
- Bobby Finger stopped at Gregory’s Coffee, a chain he normally avoids, and ordered a medium cold brew.
- Bobby Finger drank it quickly and thought, “Not bad!”
- Bobby Finger met Kate Dries at 30 Rock at 7:20 am, then checked in with security, where they were handed light blue tickets and directed to the waiting area for Megyn Kelly Today audience members, known lovingly as the Peacock Lounge.
- Bobby Finger met Dana Klinghoffer, who thanked him for coming and shook his hand.
- Bobby Finger and Kate Dries ate muffins (poppyseed, chocolate chip, and a flavor Kate Dries referred to as “nut medley”) that were provided to the audience in exchange for their showing up at the crack of dawn.
- Bobby Finger and Kate Dries chatted about their Thanksgiving plans while waiting to be called.
- People with light blue tickets were called to the elevator banks, where they were whisked up to studio 6A.
- Bobby Finger and Kate Dries showed their light blue tickets to a particularly chipper member of the audience team and were directed to the front-most section, where they took a seat and waited for the filming to begin.
- Bobby Finger and Kate Dries gladly participated in a pre-show audience warmup that consisted of applause/cheering practice, warnings about not using phones, and something resembling a comedy set by the show’s charming hype man.
- The charming hype man revealed he would be giving Starbucks gift cards of unknown dollar amounts to lucky Megyn Kelly Today audience members.
- Bobby Finger squealed.
- Bobby Finger looked the charming hype man in the eye and sent him a wordless, almost sensual glance that anyone with half a brain would interpret as, “Please give me one of those Starbucks gift cards, sir. I love coffee and free things.”
- The show’s charming hype man ignored my silent plea and gave the gift cards to other, luckier people.
- A producer informed the audience that a pre-taped segment would begin soon, as the Megyn Kelly Today crew needs extra time to prepare for the live music segments on Fridays.
- Megyn Kelly walked onstage in a striped dress that Bobby Finger swears he’s seen her wear before, not that it matters.
- Bobby Finger watched Megyn Kelly tape a segment on a charity that drills wells in countries without easy access to fresh water.
- Megyn Kelly finished taping the segment.
- Bobby Finger held his breath as the clock crept towards 9:00 am, when they would go live.
- Bobby Finger watched Megyn Kelly Today from the Megyn Kelly Today audience.
- Megyn Kelly Today ended.
- Megyn Kelly Today’s Facebook Live segment began filming.
- Megyn Kelly fielded questions from the audience about her career and personal life.
- 10 minutes into Megyn Kelly Today’s Facebook Live segment, Megyn Kelly said there was a “special guest in the audience.”
- Megyn Kelly said the name “Bobby Finger” aloud.
- Bobby Finger wanted to scream but couldn’t because he was in the audience of Megyn Kelly Today.
- A Megyn Kelly Today crew member handed Bobby Finger a mic, which he did not expect.
- Megyn Kelly said some very kind words about Bobby Finger, thanked him for chronicling her show, and walked to his seat to give him a hug.
- Megyn Kelly said she liked the column.
- Megyn Kelly said Doug liked the column.
- Bobby Finger thanked Megyn Kelly for tickets to her show.
- Bobby Finger thought, “She’s being a hell of a good sport about this.”
- Bobby Finger remembered that Megyn Kelly spent 13 years at a network whose mission is to embolden an audience filled with hate, elect Republicans to office, and to provide a platform for racism, bigotry, misogyny, and misinformation. Bobby Finger remembered when Megyn Kelly railed against the Black Lives Matter movement and called it potentially “dangerous [for the black] community.” Bobby Finger remembered when Megyn Kelly insulted Planned Parenthood and claimed they lacked “humanity” while giving airtime to those altered videos made by anti-abortion activists. Bobby Finger remembered when Megyn Kelly gave homophobes a place to amplify their voices.
- During an additional Q&A segment off-camera, Megyn Kelly expressed her desire to “lift people up” with Megyn Kelly Today.
- Bobby Finger believed her.
- Bobby Finger wondered whether Megyn Kelly Today, with its clunky rollout, unintelligible tone, and continued (if less frequent) missteps, is some sort of self-imposed, high-paying penance for spending 13 years spreading the gospel of Roger Ailes.
- Bobby Finger thought, “At least she’s doing this instead of that.”
- “Megyn Kelly Today Today” ended.
- Megyn Kelly Today went on.