On Sunday, Lorde announced she had cancelled her June 5 concert in Tel Aviv, Israel in response to criticism from fans and activists promoting the tenets of BDS, a movement to divest from Israel in protest of the country’s occupation of Palestine.
Lorde hinted that she was considering cancelling the show last week.
In her statement on Sunday, Lorde said, “I have had a lot of discussions with people holding many views, and I think the right decision at this time is to cancel the show. I’m not too proud to admit I didn’t make the right call on this one.”
Israel’s Culture Minister Miri Regev has reportedly weighed in, encouraging Lorde to reconsider the snub.
Here’s an odd and kind of upsetting story. Lainie Kazan, who starred in My Big Fat Greek Wedding as the family matriarch, was reportedly arrested for shoplifting $180 worth of groceries from a San Fernando Valley store on Christmas Eve.
Sources told TMZ on Sunday that when cops asked Kazan why she was stealing groceries, she admitted that she didn’t have any money on her.
Kazan was arrested for petty theft and released without bail.
- The Harry and Meghan memorabilia market is obviously booming. [NYT]
- Gal Gadot to her six-year-old daughter, upon reading some rave Wonder Woman reviews: “See, if you work hard and you have good intentions sometimes in life people appreciate it.” [People]
- Jamie Lynn Spears is expecting her second child (first with husband Jamie Watson), and big sis Britney congratulated her. [Us]
- “Ringo was totally kicked sideways but is chuffed to bits.” (Ringo Starr to be knighted.) [Page Six]
- On Christmas Eve, Jennifer Lawrence has, for the past five years, visited a children’s hospital in her hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. [NYDN]
- I enjoy Luann de Lesseps strategy of blaming her reported disorderly conduct and arrest resist on being in Palm Beach (ICYMI). [People]
- Phantom Thread (a.k.a Daniel Day-Lewis’s final film) is out today!! Go see it in my stead. [NYT]