Jada Pinkett Smith fired back against claims former Scientology adherent Leah Remini made over the weekend that the actress has “been in Scientology a long time.”
The accusation carried some weight with the public, since Pinkett Smith and her husband Will Smith have been linked to the Church of Scientology before, and have been rumored church members for a while. But on Tuesday, Jada boasted of her ecumenical and noncommittal approach to ancient world religions...and Scientology, writing:
“I recently lit Shabbat candles with Rabbi Bentley at Temple Sinai. I have prayed in mosques all over the world... but I am not a Muslim; I have read the Bhagavad Gita... but I am not a Hindu; I have chanted and meditated in some of the most magnificent temples on earth… but I am not a Buddhist; and I have studied Dianetics, and appreciate the merits of Study Tech… but I am not a Scientologist. I practice human kindness, and I believe that we each have the right to determine what we are and what we are not. NO ONE ELSE can hold that power.”
In light of Pinkett Smith’s rumored involvement wth the Church of Scientology, Page Six got in touch with the church’s LA branch for a comment, and their response sounded…unlikely: “I don’t know who [Jada Pinkett Smith] is…maybe you should call and ask her.” Cool, what’s her number?
Is “balance” like “boo,” like “bae”? Does “new balance” no longer mean “sneakers,” is it an intimate parter kind of situation now instead? Most importantly: who is this?
- Billy Bush and wife Sydney Davis are ending their marriage. The details are fuzzy. Might it have anything to do with—? [Page Six]
- Chris Pratt downed two heavy meat dishes and a bottle of red wine in public, alone, while Anna Faris attended the Emmy Awards. He’s really winning me over. [Page Six]
- According to a harassment report filed in March, Ryan Phillippe also called his former fiancé, Paulina Slagter, a “whore” in some “extremely angry” texts. [TMZ]
- Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen broke up after nearly 10 years together. [Us Weekly]
- Apparently Debbie Reynolds kept Audrey Hepburn’s iconic Sabrina dress in a trunk for an untold number of years and didn’t even know she had it. [THR]
- Johnny Depp’s closest friends and family have now been roped into this dispute with his former business managers. [Deadline]