Did you think you were a witty music critic, sending out those tweets attacking Idina Menzel for botching part of her performance of The World's Most Overplayed Song Ever on New Year's Eve? Well guess what? She gives zero fucks, thanks.
Menzel ignited a Twitter shitstorm when she missed a few high notes while singing "Let It Go," this time on Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve special on ABC. People were unsurprisingly assholish about it, because if you're famous you have to be perfect 100 percent of the time, always, no exceptions for anyone ever, period the end. But instead of crying in a bowl of a cookie dough ice cream like some folks do when people on social media are mean, Menzel stood up for herself. The Tony winning singer posted a picture of an interview she did a few months ago addressing the issue of hitting difficult high notes:
"There are about 3 million notes in a two-and-a-half-hour musical," her quote in the article reads." Being a perfectionist, it took me a long time to realize that if I'm hitting 75 percent of them, I'm succeeding. Performing isn't only about the acrobatics and the high notes: It's staying in the moment, connecting with the audience in an authentic way, and making yourself real to them through the music. I am more than the notes I hit, and that's how I try to approach my life. You can't get it all right all the time, but you can try your best. If you've done that, all that's left is to accept your shortcomings and have the courage to try to overcome them."
TL/DR hitting high notes like that is rough stuff; it's not the end of the world if you miss one occasionally. By the way, Billboard seems to think the shitstorm is a lot of nonsense anyway:
According to Billboard writer Michele Amabile Angermiller, who covered the event, Menzel did hit all the right notes when she rehearsed at soundcheck prior to the performance. And when the audience sang back the line "the cold never bothered me anyway" to the singer during the live broadcast, it was an exhuberant moment.
Whatever. All I know is after about six or seven beers, I do a flawless rendition of Night Ranger's "Sister Christian." As far as I know, I've never missed a note.
Kim Kardashian posted a split-screen pic of herself and Our Duchess of the Persistent Willow, Queen of the Moon Dusk, Princess of the Rising Winds, Lady of the Eternal Gift Basket aka North West:
"I'm not sure who made this but I love these side by side pics. This is me on the right as a baby and North on the left," she posted.
- That sound you hear is Amal Clooney laughing at the government of Egypt who threatened to arrest her. This woman goes to sleep in a bed of so much BAMF and wakes up owning it. [The Guardian]
- Gwyneth Paltrow said she "hit a wall" in her relationship with ex-husband Chris Martin. That wall was covered with a vintage silk wallpaper she picked up at a flea market in Barcelona. [Marie Claire]
- RIP, Donna Douglas. The Beverly Hillbillies star died at the age of 81. I met her once and she was so lovely. [Variety]
- Alexis Bledel spoke about her Gilmore Girls co-star, the late Edward Herrmann. Yes, this will probably make you cry a little. [TVLine]
- A discussion took place on this Internet website a few days ago regarding men and appropriate beachwear, especially in regards to shoes. I am not here to judge anyone (you do you, folks) but here are Marc Jacobs and Lorenzo Martone demonstrating the topic for you. For those who which to continue the debate, please discuss. [Just Jared]
- Tiny baby human person Ariana Grande did not break up with her boyfriend Big Sean. So love gets a stay of execution, at least for a little while. [Daily Mail]
- Zoe Saldana and her husband, artist Marco Perego welcomed twin boys on Friday. They named the probably totally adorable infants Cy and Bowie. Congratulations! [US Weekly]
- I can admit when I am totally envious of a celebrity and this is one of those times. Miley Cyrus has one of those pizza beds. [Gossip Cop]
- My TayTay does not want to "move forward" with her relationship with 1975's Matt Healy and is refusing to "make time" for him. OK. [Hollywood Life]
- I got Magneto in this, the best Buzzfeed quiz ever. [Buzzfeed]
- FYI yes the rumors are true, I was one of the women who "partied and boozed it up" with Leo DiCaprio on New Year's Eve. I was just cut out of most of the pictures on the Internet now. I'm fielding a lot of requests for interviews about the wild antics that went down. I'll answer the basic questions—we spent a lot of time discussing the ending of How I Met Your Mother (he was not a fan) and the models ate all the shrimp poppers before I even got one. Typical. [TMZ]
Image via Getty.