Is there a cornier practice within daytime television’s illustrious history than that of forcing hosts to wear wack costumes and dance around for our viewing pleasure? I say “nay!” because I remember 2015, when the Today show team appeared as Peanuts characters and the result was both horrifying and harrowing, like a Viking funeral gone awry.
Anyway, today is Halloween, so let’s see what our favorite professional day drinkers pulled off.
Today decided to dial it back a hair and dressed as iconic ‘80s pop culture figures, both fictional and way too real:
- Willie Geist as Ferris Bueller
- Al Roker and Dylan Dreyer as Doc and Marty McFly from Back to the Future
- Craig Melvin as Prince Akeem from Coming to America
- Peter Alexander and Jenna Bushhager as Maverick and Goose from Top Gun
- Kathie Lee Gifford as Madonna
- Sheinelle Jones as Tina Turner
- Hoda Kotb as Elton John
- Savannah Guthrie as Cyndi Lauper
- Carson Daly as Bruce Springsteen
You read that last one correctly. Truly cursed:
Apparently they have a dog named Sunny, too, that they forcibly dressed up? As Cher? Dog, blink twice if you need help.
This is so embarrassing, but Good Morning America also went for an ‘80s theme. Yikes!
- Robin Roberts as Dominique Deveraux from Dynasty
- Rob Marciano as Zack Morris from Saved by the Bell
- Amy Robach as Peggy Bundy from Married With Children
- Lara Spencer as Captain Merrill Stubing from The Love Boat
- ...And T.J. Holmes and Paula Faris as her cruise directors
- Ginger Zee as Michaelangelo from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Michael Strahan as Mr. T
- George Stephanopoulos as Alex P. Keaton from Family Ties ,which just looks like his normal self:
I’m still not completely sure what The View’s theme was this year...apparently it’s, uh, being fierce? I feel e-m-p-o-w-e-r-e-d.
- Sunny Hostin as General Okoye from Black Panther
- Meghan McCain as Elsa from Frozen
- Abby Huntsman as Lady Gaga
- Whoopi Goldberg as Disney Junior’s Vampirina
- Joy Behar was the “The Mid-Terminator,” which is like, a call for voting in the midterm elections but also the Terminator? IDK:
This is somehow not Mariah Carey:
- Ellen DeGeneres as a drunk Bachelor contestant
The Talk did a whole pop star thing and it was not bad.
- Sara Gilbert as Pink
- Eve as Janet Jackson
- Sharon Osbourne as Dolly Parton
- Sheryl Underwood as The Weather Girls
Consistently producing some of the best daytime TV host costumes, the ladies of The Real brought it as...other daytime TV hosts.
- Loni Love as Oprah
- Tamera Mowry as Tyra Banks
- Adrienne Bailon as Sally Jessy Raphael
- Jeannie Mai as Ellen DeGeneres
Page Six TV really nailed Ariana Grande, Tina Turner (our second of the day?) and Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman. However, I don’t know who any of these people are. Does anyone? Do you? I guess you can watch them on Hulu? Whatever, they look good.