Kesha’s hyped performance at the Billboard Music Awards on May 22—rumored to be a “statement performance” against her alleged sexual abuser Dr. Luke—might not happen after all. The producer (real name Lukasz Gottwald) has reportedly backtracked on a previous agreement and now refuses to let her perform original music.
A rep for Dick Clark Productions — which is producing the award show on Sunday — says Dr. Luke’s label, Kemosabe Records, has been unable to reach an agreement with Kesha for her to take the stage.
We’re told Dr. Luke had signed off, but pulled the plug once he got wind of what Kesha was planning.
But, as TMZ points out, Kesha would still be allowed to perform a cover at the Awards, whether Dr. Luke agrees or not.
UPDATE: (8:23 p.m.): Hours after news of her cancelled “statement performance,” Kesha issued a message to fans via her Instagram account, announcing that the singer would not be performing at the award show.
Kesha, who wrote that she had intended to perform a cover of Bob Dylan’s “It Ain’t Me, Babe” as a tribute to the songwriter, stated that she would not be “allowed” to do so. She also denied that her performance had been planned as commentary about her former producer and their recent legal standoff.
“I just wanted to make very clear that this performance was about me honoring one of my favorite songwriters of all time and has never had anything at all to do with Dr. Luke,” Kesha wrote. “I was never going to use a picture of him, speak of him or allude to my legal situation in any way. I simply wanted to sing a song I love to honor an artist I have always looked up to. thank u all for the continued support.”
Image via the AP.