Most Moviegoers Are Women, Even Though Movies Treat Women Like Garbage

The MPAA just released their annual report on box office statistics, and women continue to make up the majority of filmgoers. Women make up 52% of movie theater audiences and we purchase 50% of tickets. So why are women so poorly represented on screen and behind the scenes? » 3/26/14 6:30pm 3/26/14 6:30pm

PLEASE Quit Reading Things That Explain What Guys 'Really' Mean

What do women really want? How do men really feel? If you've ever found yourself reading an article that attempts to "decipher" the "code" of male or female behavior, congratulations, you are grasping at straws (or hate-reading). I, too, have read approximately 14,000 bajillion of these pieces over the course of my life,… » 3/19/14 6:50pm 3/19/14 6:50pm

How True Detective Can Solve Its Woman Problem

Earlier this week, Nic Pizzolatto, the writer and creator of HBO's True Detective, posted and hastily deleted a Tweet that left fans of the show salivating. In the Tweet, Pizzolatto strongly implied that the next season of series — which, for all its gripping, gorgeous imagery and brain-invading writing, has thus far… » 2/26/14 6:01pm 2/26/14 6:01pm

When a Bar Full of Women Was a Nightmarish Dystopia

Harry Grant Dart had quite an eye for the future. The early 20th century illustrator imagined women driving flying machines, the airmail of the future dropping from the sky, and even a world of robot butlers long before the word robot had even been coined. But one of Dart's illustrations from 1908 was perhaps the most… » 2/03/14 4:50pm 2/03/14 4:50pm

Woman Attorney Launches Saudi Arabia's First All-Lady Law Firm

Just a few months after Saudi Arabia allowed women to serve in court, the first licensed woman attorney Bayan Mahmoud Al-Zahran has just opened the first female law firm, dedicated to representing women and bringing women's rights issues into the courts. YES.

Women have continually been neglected by the court system… » 1/03/14 4:00pm 1/03/14 4:00pm

The AIA Finally Gave A Medal To A Female Architect. She Died In 1957.

How is this possible? The American Institute of Architects, the largest and most influential architecture organization in the country, had never, ever awarded a Gold Medal—its highest honor, which it has been bestowing upon architects since 1907—to a woman. Until now. » 12/19/13 10:48am 12/19/13 10:48am

Stephen Colbert Knows Exactly How to Solve The GOP's Woman Problem

As we've pointed out many times before (and as anyone who identifies as a lady can probably tell you), the GOP has a woman problem. A recent poll by the Washington Post says that 63% of women have an unfavorable view of the Republican party and the other 37% are, I dunno, Ann Romney? » 12/06/13 10:20am 12/06/13 10:20am

'Girls Are Assholes' Is the Internet's Least Relatable Video Series

I wanted to like the on-its-way-to-viral "Girls Are Assholes" web series. I really did. Not because I'm the sort of woman who hates other women, but because I love me some sharply observed self-deprecating humor almost as much as I love fresh comedic perspectives from underrepresented demographics, and this video series… » 11/19/13 5:45pm 11/19/13 5:45pm