Olympic gold medalist Shawn Johnson was forced to retire at the tender age of 20, putting an end to her bid to make the 2012 U.S. Olympic Gymnastics team after suffering one too many setbacks from a knee she injured during a 2010 skiing accident. She told the AP, in so many words, that, although she's a world-class…
Chicago, July 23: Shawn Johnson competes on the balance beam during the Covergirl Classic gymnastics competition. The 2011 CoverGirl Classic is the final qualifying event for the 2011 Visa Championships, which is USA Gymnastics' national championship scheduled for Aug. 17-20 in Saint Paul, Minn. (AP Photo/Paul Beaty)
- In yet another taped phone conversation, Mel Gibson has a rageful, semi-incoherent meltdown, uses an ethnic slur, and tells Oksana Grigorieva, "You're a fucking using whore…I own you... You don't count."
- Heidi Montag has filed for a legal separation from Spencer Pratt, citing "irreconcilable differences." Heidi is representing herself and accidentally went to the wrong courthouse this morning, but she did manage to tip-off the paparazzi without Spencer's help.
Held last night in Las Vegas in preparation for the show on Saturday, the Miss America prelims featured glitter, animal prints, and smiles so wide they just had to hurt.
- Today a judge ruled that Jon Gosselin must pay back $180,000 of the money he removed from his shared bank account with Kate Gosselin in violation of an arbitrator's order. As for the rest of the money...
- Is Britney being forced to tour? An insider says she's emotionally fragile, but her father insists the show must go on. The source claims:
- Rihanna will be subpoenaed to testify at a preliminary hearing on June 22 to determine if there is enough evidence to prosecute Chris Brown for assault, and her lawyer says she'll be there. Also required to attend: Chris Brown.
- New day, same rumor: The "doc" is a diva. So. Did Katherine Heigl get dropped from the cast of cringe-inducing flick Valentine's Day because she wanted too much cash? Her rep says:
- Twihards! Sparkle vamp Robert Pattinson says there will be a fourth Twilight movie; the plot of the book Breaking Dawn will come to the big screen. What does this mean?
- Madonna purchased a $40 million Upper East Side townhouse equipped with 13 bedrooms, nine fireplaces, and an elevator. She'll stay in her other NYC residence while she renovates her new fixer-upper. [New York Magazine]
- Madonna's adoption of a second Malawian child: Denied.
- Madonna and Jesus have broken up, if you believe that she Twitters, which this paper does. Meanwhile, she's allegedly on her way to Malawi to adopt another kid. [Daily Mail]
- Instead of appearing at the Grammy Awards, Chris Brown - seen at left with Rihanna at a pre-Grammy party - was arrested for a felony battery.
- I think we can all agree that there's a real dearth of trashy fashion lines by C-List stars. Thank god Tara Reid is filling the void with "Mantra." The new collection "includes t-shirts, dresses, bikinis, ponchos and hoodies decorated with beads and charms." [Perez Hilton]
- Which is good, because fellow…