After all the aggressively po-mo retro sampling happening in many of the New York fashion week shows, it was nice to see that Proenza Schouler, who presented their spring collection last night, kept things relatively free of obvious "references."
The recession is shaking the fashion industry's foundations. Last fall's 85% discounts begat this spring's layoffs. Magazines have folded, labels have shuttered, and consumer spending continues to fall. Anna Wintour thinks this could be solved with a spot of price-fixing.
- Model turned cookbook author Sophie Dahl is getting her own cooking show on BBC 2. Dahl says her show will cover on the "emotional" side of food. "It's cooking with an anecdotal thread, irreverent, unpredictable and not without flaw." [Sun]
- Eva Mendes should just drop the transparent "acting" career. The woman — Calvin Klein perfume campaign-snagger, fashion event-schmoozer, Revlon face, and Italian Vogue poseur — is, as these Calvin Klein ads further prove, basically a model now. Embrace it! [People]
- Jesus Luz went on a Brazilian TV program, Fantastico, and said of Madonna: "She is my friend, only my friend." Hmm. Wow. Okay. He also said:
- Ashton Kutcher elaborately pranked CNN and Ted Turner:
- Kiefer Sutherland may be looking at a minor assault charge in NYC for headbutting designer Jack McCollough. The real problem?
- Rihanna was the big show-stopper at the Met Ball: Celebs cheered when she took the stage to perform. And! At an after-party, guess who RiRi was in deep convo with?
- Designers like Donna Karan, Elie Tahari and Thakoon are fighting to get to Michelle Obama. [WWD]
- Even though her Narciso Rodriguez dress drew mixed reviews. [NY Times]
- According to polls, 65% considered it a "Don't." [USA Today]
- Proenza Schouler’s Jack McCollough on the election. “A shout-out to the gays? I mean, never,…
The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) just announced the nominees for its annual awards (think: the Oscars of the fashion industry), and, as reported earlier, Marc Jacobs nabbed a prestigious Womenswear Designer of the Year nod. But considering the fact that his peers spent the past year harping on him…
- Who will win the Council of Fashion Designers of America's Womenswear Designer of the Year award, the "Best Picture" of fashion? The nominees are: Marc Jacobs, Francisco Costa of Calvin Klein, and Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler (who tied last year with Oscar de la Renta.) Bets? [WWD, sub…
"Making myself happy and not doing things for other people or because of what they'll think is how I mostly make my choices. Some have not been so good, but learning to live with them has made me a stronger person. Do I sound like Ashlee Simpson?" That would be Chloe Sevigny. Being interviewed by T: Magazine bloggers…
- We don't think we can design clothes, so why do clothing designers think they can blog? The Proenza Schouler boys, Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez, will be blogging for the New York Times's T: Style magazine's new site all this week. Says T's online editor, "One of the things I'm trying to avoid is solipsistic…
- In the weakest blind item ever, the NY Daily News' Ben Widdicombe asks which designer's recent stint in "rehab" also masked (hah!) a cosmetic surgery and recovery. WHO could it be? And, uh, for what? A facelift? Calf implants? Labiaplasty?? Photo scrutiny-fest to come. [Gatecrasher]
- In totally unrelated news, 'Page…