The e-commerce site Rent the Runway is the the ready-to-wear couture equivalent of Bag Borrow Or Steal: for a fee dependent on how long you'd like to keep the piece, you can rent — let's say — a Badgley Mischka dress for $125. But one of the downsides of Rent the Runway, and even luxury flash-sale websites like Gilt…
Discount online retailer and investment-magnet Gilt Groupe says it is now worth $1 billion. That's a lot of designer flash sales! The company has 670 employees — and is looking to hire for 125 positions. Gilt intends to launch a full-price men's site this year. According to the C.E.O., "our online male sales are three…
Ever noticed the redhead model on Shopbop? The online retailers that help us all procrastinate away our horrible desk jobs use the same models over and over. Because retailers know we notice them. And because they sell.
- Christy Turlington says, "There's nothing rewarding about modeling. It was a fun opportunity that allowed me to see the world but spiritually and intellectually there is nothing rewarding about the profession at all."
Jeans have gone from from workwear, to rebelwear, to wear-anywhere. They are the universal empty point around which a wardrobe is calibrated. And while they are manufactured in more sizes, styles, and washes than ever before, jeans shopping is hell.
- Is Lady Gaga getting her butch on modeling for Vogue Hommes Japan under the pseudonym "Jo Calderone"? Nicola Formichetti styled — he works with Gaga regularly — and Nick Knight — ditto — published the pictures online. So. [ONTD]
- The return of Mad Men is a mere 37 days away, and the AMC show has struck a deal with Banana Republic:
- One of Annie Leibovitz's Louis Vuitton ads with astronauts Sally Ride, Buzz Aldrin, and Jim Lovell is out. (Gorby was busy that weekend.) [WWD]
- Karl Lagerfeld: "Ballet is an extraordinary art: this torture of the body to make something so graceful. All this hard work, to look effortless."