It's getting chilly outside, so warm up with some heart-wrenching, soul-stirring Etta James.
Etta James, who needs no introduction, would be 74 today. Let her epic voice east you into the weekend and enjoy your open thread!
Happy last-Dirt-Bag-of-the-year!!! Let's talk about death. There's no rhyme or reason—or significance, really—to grouping people together based on the year in which they died. It's pretty arbitrary, if you think about it. Tony Scott's suicide doesn't have anything to do with Michael Clarke Duncan's heart disease. But…
First we dealt with the painful shock that Katy Perry and Russell Brand's marriage had fallen apart, and now comes word that @katyperry has officially unfollowed @rustyrockets. Alas, parting is such tweet sorrow! The worst part of this digital divorce is that her estranged hubby is still following her. Awkward.
Born Jamesetta Hawkins in 1938, the singer who was nicknamed Miss Peaches crossed genres, from blues and rhythm and blues to rock and roll, soul, gospel and jazz. James's singnature song, "At Last," was released in 1961, but is still a romantic favorite — President Barack Obama danced to it with his wife Michelle at…
Kobe Bryant's wife, Vanessa, filed for divorce today. According to TMZ, Vanessa left because Kobe couldn't stop cheating on her. He was, of course, charged with sexually assaulting a woman in 2003, and Vanessa famously stood by him then. But a new incident was apparently what drove her to leave, a source says,
Lady Gaga's stylist Nicola Formichetti will be working with Gilt Groupe on a line of Gaga-inspired clothing for women and men alike. The "two-day flash sale" —scheduled for the same week as Gaga's release of "Born This Way" (surely a coincidence)— will feature "looks from cutting edge designers, inspired by Lady…
- A.J. McLean of the Backstreet Boys has entered rehab for the third time. Sources say he's been "out of control" recently, and it's been interfering with plans for the band's tour with New Kids On The Block.
- Apparently when Grammy Awards organizers say to be on time they mean it: Rihanna showed up a few minutes late and security guards wouldn't let her in the theater.
- Ian Halperin, who recently wrote an unauthorized book about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, claims that Angie hooked up with Lady Gaga recently and, "Apparently, Angie is obsessed with Lady GaGa." Halperin explains:
- Etta James says when she was ripping Beyoncé about singing "At Last" for the President, "I didn't really mean anything…"
- The office of the doctor who prescribed Anna Nicole Smith methadone 13 days before she gave birth was raided today and police are looking for a connection between the doctor and lawyer Howard K. Stern.
- At a concert in Seattle, Etta James said:
We'll make this brief: Beyonce brought it. Diddy checked his BlackBerry (you'll see him in the background). Michelle Obama wore Jason Wu. And everyone was brought to tears. At left. At last.