This Balmain ad with Cindy, Naomi and Claudia inspired a goodly amount of nostalgia for the era when supermodels were actually super models, and slaying was not just a hashtag but a way of life. They were goddesses of runway and print, but they also had some fire behind the eyes—that and perfect timing was their true…
As one of the most recognizable fashion models of all time, you’d think Kate Moss would act in the extreme—feisty like Naomi Campbell, or going the opposite direction and being a meditative, calming force like Christy Turlington. In this new ShowStudio interview with Nick Knight, though, she proves to be neither.
Christy Turlington is forty-four years old. Christy Turlington says her body is aging naturally: "I haven't manipulated myself in any way." But when Christy Turlington talks about her new Calvin Klein underwear ads being "good" for people to see "images of women," Christy Turlington makes us pause for a moment.
Christy Turlington's inclusion in this fall's Prada campaign is the main focus of Women's Wear Daily's story on the new ads — but forgive us if we think the venerable trade is guilty in this instance of burying the lede. The real news here is that, for the first time since the fall of 1994, there's a black face of…
Britain's Advertising Standards Authority has banned two ads featuring Julia Roberts and Christy Turlington for misleading consumers by being overly airbrushed. It had to come to its conclusion without before-and-after shots, since apparently Roberts has stipulated in her contract that no unairbrushed shots can be…
Carole White, the head of London modeling agency Premier and the woman often credited with "discovering" Naomi Campbell, penned an as-told-to piece for today's Telegraph. Get ready for some early-90s nostalgia! Did you know that Chisty Turlington and Naomi Campbell had a very special shared nickname? It was "Wagon."
The Gracie Awards celebrate programming created for, by, and about women. Not to be a bitch, but it's clear from what they're wearing that these chicks are television and not movie stars...the whole affair is just a smidgen less glamorous than something the film industry might bust out.Seriously, though: While…
One of the most uncomfortable truths about the fashion industry is that most models begin working when they are in their early teens or even tweens; they are children. In this editorial, Vogue Paris cuts right to the chase.
- After Target, which styles itself an LGBT-friendly employer, was caught giving thousands to rabidly anti-gay political candidates, it said it would stop. Well: Target has since given over $30,000 to anti-gay-rights candidates and causes. [The Awl]
- Tom Ford, a man who immobilized his forehead with Botox, thinks people should go naked. Especially, well... "Fat women almost always look better without the constraint and lumpy pinching of clothes, all the straps and elastic squeezing and sucking." [ContactMusic]
- "Sources" are saying that Kimora Lee Simmons didn't leave Baby Phat, the fashion line she founded — she was fired. Allegedly, she was kicked out for being too spendthrift. For example: "It costs thousands of dollars to airbrush her."
- Christy Turlington says, "There's nothing rewarding about modeling. It was a fun opportunity that allowed me to see the world but spiritually and intellectually there is nothing rewarding about the profession at all."
- JWOWW wants Snooki to collaborate on a sunglasses collection. "I'm a good designer, but she's great with ideas. She tells me…and I can put them on paper," said JWOWW. Also, JWOWW would like Lady Gaga to wear her swimsuits. [People]
[New York, May 26. image via INF]
- A friend of Daul Kim who IM'd with the model the night before Kim was found dead in her Paris apartment says that Kim complained of feeling depressed, and was in an abusive relationship. But she was scared to leave: