Thanks to a combination of Lady Gaga lyrics, deodorant strong enough for men but made just for us, and pole dancing classes, women are now more equal with men than ever. We're out-enrolling men in college, we're installing tampon machines in executive suite bathrooms, and we still enjoy a commanding lead in the…
Do female athletes with "unusually" high levels of male hormones have an unfair advantage on the field? The International Association of Athletics Federations thinks so: the organization recently decided that a woman cannot compete in track and field sports if she has too much testosterone in her apparently confusing…
After suffering through last year's humiliating "scandal" over her biological sex, Semenya has returned to the track. However, some of her competitors (we won't name names, but...Diane Cummins and Jemma Simpson) are bitching: "We are literally running against a man."
[Pretoria, July 8. South African track and field athlete Caster Semenya attends a training session in South Africa]
• Gov. Linda Lingle announced yesterday that she has vetoed Hawaii's same-sex civil unions bill. Lingle's action came on the final day she had to either sign or veto the bill, which the Hawaii Legislature had approved in late April.
• The Department of Education has spoken out against a tradition at Manhattan's Stuyvesant High School of posting "Crush Lists" in the school hallway. The list of lust-worthy students appears under the heading "I'd Tap That."
• Everyone's favorite political commentator has returned to Facebook to publish her disapproval of an Illinois high school that decided not to fly their girls' basketball team to Arizona because of recent immigration laws. Palin writes:
• Even though the video game RapeLay (which allows you to stalk and assault multiple women and girls) was removed from Amazon and other outlets, the game remains a viral sensation, and is commonly available for download online.
Both the IAAF and Athletics South Africa have said Caster Semenya will be allowed to return to competition. Her coach says she will run in local events before returning to the international stage. [BBC]
• The Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America announced that Sarah Palin will be speaking at their upcoming convention in Las Vegas. Sounds random, until you get to the part about the tasting competition. Who'd wanna miss that? •
In a reversal, the IAAF says it will not be releasing the results of Caster Semenya's gender tests. And, according to a statement by the South Africa sports ministry, Semenya will keep her medal and prize money.
• The consequences of unprotected sex are pretty obvious nine months later, but this ad from Trojan shows there can also be unforeseen consequences 32 years later when your "mistake" is annoying other people in a movie theater. •