Sometimes people show their true selves without realizing it and this week that award goes to Congress, specifically Reps Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas) and Bill Huizenga (R-Mich). The men asked many silly questions of the first female Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen, then repeatedly cut her off before she could answer. »
Barring an extraordinary event that CHANGES EVERYTHING, Scandal season finale-style, President Obama will almost 100% for sure be nominating Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Janet Yellen to the post Ben Bernanke is vacating.
Anna Schwartz, a research economist who worked with Nobel laureate Milton Friedman, died in her home Thursday at the age of 96. Despite a career crowned by the War and Peace of economic scholarship, the 900-page A Monetary History of the United States, 1867-1960, Schwartz was continually overshadowed by her… »
- Treasury Secretary Paulson and Fed Chair Bernanke were on the Hill today, metaphorical hats in hands, asking for gobs of money and the ability to spend it with no oversight. Unlike what Sarah Palin actually said about the Bridge To Nowhere, Congress told them, "No thanks." [Washington Post]
- Dick Cheney tried his hand… »
I like to give John McCain the benefit of the doubt when it's clear he's making a joke. (Like about how he stopped beating his wife.) So I want to defend this clip where he holds up the company Crocs as some paragon of American business innovation. I mean, on one hand, hahahaha: a company that owes its entire business… »
- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed thinks the courtroom artist drew his nose too wide. He lost a bunch of weight on the Guantanamo diet and totally turns out to be one of those secretly vain terror masterminds. [USA Today]
- This will shock you: Bob Dylan is voting for Barack Obama. Okay, I was kidding about the shocked part. [Times »
- "He's obviously a well-educated, sincere man who has done good work in building Trinity United Church of Christ. But, to borrow a phrase that Wright might have used in one of his sermons, his rant at the Press Club demonstrates, that he is also a damn fool." [TheRoot]
- Surely I wasn't the only one who detected some… »
Do you spend a lot of time thinking about the Gross Domestic Product? You might be tempted to say "no," and scroll down hoping for the next picture of Shiloh Jolie-PItt, but the fact is that you will probably vote in November, and probably for the candidate you most trust to stave off this "recession" and the… »
How was your weekend? Hey! Guess who cares; no one. Fucking End Times came while you were drinking green beer or whatever, to the point that I shouldn't have to bait you with the fact that the McGreeveys HAD HARD CORE INTENSE BUTT SEX ORGIES WITH MARGARITAS/ POTATO SKIN PLATTERS AT T.G.I.FRIDAYS. But there I go… »
- The New York Post endorses Barack Obama — for the primary. [NY Post]
- Snoop Dogg and onetime ANTM contestant Kelle Jacob, meanwhile, remain undecided.
- From the tip jar: "FYI...I know why Paul Rudd wasn't at his crappy movie premiere last night...though I don't have any photographic evidence (yet!), I saw him with my own… »