For their fall-winter 2014 collection, Mark Badgley and James Mischka say they were inspired by Vienna — opulent, metallic fabrics and floral brocades ruled the runway, in a collection that ranged from somewhat casual (those power suits!) to very red-carpet ready.
The fall 2013 Badgley Mischka collection is bewitching, sumptuous, luxurious, stunning, divine. Exquisite details, soft but strong dresses designed for stealing the spotlight, cinematic gowns that make you the leading lady of your own award-winning film. This is the stuff dreams are made of.
The e-commerce site Rent the Runway is the the ready-to-wear couture equivalent of Bag Borrow Or Steal: for a fee dependent on how long you'd like to keep the piece, you can rent — let's say — a Badgley Mischka dress for $125. But one of the downsides of Rent the Runway, and even luxury flash-sale websites like Gilt…
- Nicki Minaj is on the cover of V, looking like a sort of Keith Haring painting come to life. She's so wild, that Nicki Minaj! And lest you think there's some crafty behind-the-scenes Svengali calling the stylistic shots, Minaj says:
What, you're neither of these things? Oh. You can still enjoy the beauty that is Badgley-Mischka's Spring collection...from a safe distance, anyhow.
- An Israeli nationalist group is very concerned about Bar Refaeli's relationship with goy Leo DiCaprio. According to the LA Times, the group's director "has nothing against Mr. DiCaprio, who I have no doubt is a talented actor." [via Gawker]
Who'd have thought you could get Christina Hendricks, Cinderella, Grace Jones, Ladyhawk and your first-grade teacher in one tent? And yet, somehow, Badgley-Mischka managed it! (In the snow, less.)
- Lindsay Lohan's debut Ungaro collection was critically panned, and so unpopular that the brand lost its only U.S. retailers besides its own boutique. Now that boutique is calling customers to tell them the store is closing on February 27. [TheAwl]
- Miuccia Prada: "I'm working on [a men's collection] right now and someone at the office worriedly asked me, ‘You're not going to make short skirts again, are you?' So I'm now pushing it even further, just for revenge!" [BlackBook]
- Stephanie Seymour's divorce from Peter Brant is getting even uglier. After police were called to the couple's home following Seymour's complaint that Brant's security assaulted her, Brant has accused the model of drug use and is seeking sole child custody:
- Lindsay Lohan, finally addressing her disastrously received first Ungaro collection, says, "I am learning." But she will be back in Paris for the next show! "It's already in January. I thought it was in March." January? January means couture.
"Badgley" and "Mischka" are bywords for classic elegance, and while it didn't reinvent the wheel, the Spring 2010 collection was no exception. Well, except for one really, really major exception:
- Leighton Meester made the September cover of Harper's Bazaar, and inside the magazine printed digitally-altered photos of the actress, intended to show how she will age. At 23, Meester is already a supporter of Botox. [WWD]