SCharles Saatchi, the garrulous art collector who was recently photographed violently gripping his wife Nigella Lawson's throat, has announced that he has begun divorce proceedings against Lawson, explaining that the couple has grown "estranged" over the last year. Oh, and he's super embarrassed that his wife felt compelled not to publicly announce that he is so not okay with violence against women.
According to a statement Saatchi made to the ever-reliable Daily Mail, Lawson not speaking up for her husband was pretty much the last straw for Saatchi, who just couldn't take stigma of possibly being a physically abusive spouse:
I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced. I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.
Wow, isn't that Nigella Lawson a monster for not publicly defending the man who, at the very least, publicly embarrassed her? Let's hope Charles Saatchi can find his romatic/public relations soulmate sometime soon. [BBC, Mail]
- A horde of disgruntled Danes booed Rihanna for showing up 30 minutes late for her performance at the Roskilde festival on July 5. [NME]
- Tan Mom (Patrcia Krentcil) has been hospitalized after suffering a seizure in rehab. [TMZ]
- Jenny McCarthy could totally replace Joy Behar on The View. [Us Weekly]
- Josh Hutcherson, master cake decorator and notable advocate for LGBTQ rights, apparently responded to some homophobic Instagramming with a tweet reminding everyone to be nice. [Twitter]
- Reginae Carter and Bria Williams, the daughters of Lil Wayne and Bryan "Birdman" Williams, have collaborated on a book called Paparazzi Princesses (which is exactly what it sounds like) and are currently promoting it at the Essence Festival in New Orleans. [Sun-Herald]
- Zooey Deschanel would prefer that you not take any cell phone pics during her She & Him concert. Quirky daguerreotypes only, please! [Canada.com]
- Yet more proof (this time from Malin Akerman's Twitter account) that celebrities have to drive themselves around in cars and are not simply ferried from appointment to appointment on magic carpets: "Blinkers people, blinkers! Thy were put on your car for a reason, so USE THEM!!
- Canadian royals Elisha Cuthbert and Dion Phaneuf were married, and all of the country's Zambonis were turned into parade floats. [People]
- Lady Gaga's legal team is trying to ensure that some potentially harmful court documents remain sealed in the 2010 lawsuit former Gaga collaborator and bff Wendy Starland brought against former Gaga producer and bff Rob Fusari. [TMZ]
- Bridesmaids supercop Chris O'Dowd just bought a sweet house in Los Angeles. [TMZ]
- According to a super-tasteful and completely hyperbolic sign at a construction site in Toronto, work on the new Bay Adelaide Centre in Toronto will finish "faster than a Kim Kardashian marriage." [TMZ]
- Zach Braff would like to be on the shortlist for Magic Mike 2 casting, thanks. [Twitter]
Image via Getty, Lisa Maree Williams