Suspect in Fort Hood Shooting Reportedly Dead

A shooter is reportedly dead following another deadly attack at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas.

According to KCEN, an active duty soldier and truck driver named Ivan Lopez, 34, is responsible for the shooting. Lopez is reportedly dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. According to the Killeen Daily Herald, as many as 14 people are injured. ABC News is reporting that three people besides the gunman are also dead.

Fort Hood was put on lockdown earlier this evening when shots were first reported. The shooting took place at the Medical Brigade building:

Scott & White Hospital have confirmed that they are getting injured patients from this shooting. A source from Scott & White has also said that four soldiers are being treated at Scott & White hospital in Temple; three of them are in critical condition and one is in extremely critical conditions.

[...]

The shooter was said to be, at one point, in building 33026 which is the Medical Brigade Building.

Reports have said that the shooter was driving a gray Toyota, described as a white male in an Army Combat Uniform, and carrying a .45 handgun.

Concerns are now with families all over Killeen who wait for news of loved ones on post. Vehicles leaving post are still being searched.

Via KCEN, here is President Barack Obama's statement on the shooting:

"I just got off the phone with the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to get the latest on the shooting at Fort Hood. Obviously, we're all following it closely.

The situation is fluid right now, but my national security team in close contact not just with Defense Department but with the FBI. They are working with folks on ground to determine exactly what happened and ensure that everyone is secure.

I want to assure all of us we going to get to bottom of what happened. Any shooting is troubling. Obviously this reopened the pain of what happened at Fort Hood five years ago. We know these families, we know the service to their country and the sacrifices that they make.

Obviously, our thoughts and prayers are with the entire community and we are going to do everything we can to make the community of Fort Hood has what it needs to deal with a tough situation but also any potential aftermath.

We're heartbroken that something like this might have happened again. I don't want to comment on the facts until we know exactly what happened.

But just for now I would hope that everyone across the country keep the families of Fort Hood in our thoughts and our prayers. The folks there have sacrificed so much on behalf of our freedom. Many of the people there have been on multiple tours of Iraq and Afghanistan, they served with valor, they served with distinction. At their home base they need to feel safe. We don't yet know what happened tonight but obviously that sense of safety has been broken once again. We need to find out exactly what happened."

This latest incident comes less than five years after a deadly attack on Fort Hood by Army psychiastrist Nidal Hasan left 13 dead and 31 wounded. Hasan convicted of the Nov. 5, 2009 shooting and sentenced to death in August 2013.

Officials from Fort Hood will hold a press conference at 9 p.m. EST tonight.

Image via AP Images.