After their "Twitter beef" blew up, Kanye West and Jimmy Kimmel had a private phone call "as men" that apparently did not go great. So they decided to take the battle to Kimmel's talk show, to have a conversation that came off as a clear ploy on Kimmel's part to boost ratings and a clear persistence on Kanye's part to be understood.
The interview is online in six parts of roughly four minutes each, which, for those that can do math, is approximately half an hour. Kanye dominated much of the conversation; he spoke for basically eight straight minutes at one point. There were moments where the audience and Kimmel laughed and it became clear how totally out of place Kanye is in the late night talk show setting because they are the absolute worst, generally speaking, if you want to get or give any real information. For his part, Kimmel seemed totally uncomfortable doing a real, even remotely serious interview.
Here are all the parts of the interview, complete with the quick Kanye/Kimmel's Notes™ I took while watching it. Hopefully they'll act as helpful guides, both for people who want to know what mattered most about the exchange and for people who don't give a shit about this.
J: Who are you wearing?
J: Is that a new grill?
"Everybody out there in TV world, real world, whatever world you stay in needs to know that I've never done a publicity stunt in my life...I don't follow rules of what normal celebrity, what their publicist tells them to do."
- J: "Hey, I want people to know this side of you."
- K: "We kind of just took it back to high school a little bit."
- "This is something when you're with another celebrity we complain about...people online especially just want you to click through and so they'll put whatever they have to put as the headline and so it can be damaging."
- lol Kimmel just called Kim Kardashian Kanye's "wife" she is clearly his "girl"
- Kanye took a photo with Jimmy's dad at a wedding that he took a Southwest flight to get to.
- "For me, you know I'm a creative genius and I know you're not supposed to say that."
- "I care about cool stuff."
- "It's really something extremely fearless for someone in my position to do."
- protecting my family, protecting my girl and my baby and protecting my dreams
- "I'm totally weird, I'm totally honest"
- "To say I'm not a genius, I would just be lying to you and myself"
- walk of fame - kim kardashian is a reality star and she DESERVES that star.
- Josh Groban doing some more Kanye West tweets, you go Josh
- J: "Do you really think I look like Spongebob?" K: "It's the first thing that came to my mind."
- "I just thought that this was so amazing that I was saying this in real time, in real life"
- leather jogging pants
- "Fashion isn't always practical"
- "My boy Virgil"
- "There are people who have made careers off of leather jogging pants"
- "It's not about racism anymore, it's about classism." (Paula Deen.) Snobbery.
- There's moments where I stood up to drug dealers in Chicago
- "You remember there was phones that cost $4,000?"
- David Stern and Da Vinci mentioned in the same sentence.
And now as a celebrity, I’ve reached a ceiling. And the way paparazzi talk to me and my family is disrespectful also. We bring something of joy to the family. When people hear my music they have a good time and I should be respected as such when I walk down the street. Don’t ask me a question about something you read in the tabloids, don’t antagonize me, because it’s not safe for you in the zoo. Don’t think that I’m not from Chicago for one second and think you can walk up and disrespect me and my family constantly. People say well, you signed up to be a celebrity, blah blah blah, and I understand you gotta get your money, it’s hard out here, but let’s have respect for each other. You do help me get money paparazzi, you show people how fresh my outfit is that helps me influence people.